Chapter 12: Wolves & Bats

"Oh, right. And here's the new student, Ren," Mr. Apocally mentioned.

Mr. Apocally smiled coolly as he surveyed the room. "No, Flash; you can't tease him; and no, Ashleigh; you can't 'hit on him.'" He did air quotations on the last few words.

" Who said I was?" Flash protested.

Mr. Apocally smirked. "I read your minds." When they gave him funny looks, he laughed. "I'm just joking; I can tell by your facial expressions."

They groaned.

Mr. Apocally smiled coolly. "Great. Now...Ren, go sit beside Butch and Brick, please."

Buttercup snuck a glance at the two Rowdyruff Boys. Butch's eyes were a dark glare, and Brick seemed to be studying the newcomer, who'd been confirmed as Ren

; Mr. Apocally raised an eyebrow, shooting Ren a look that said, "Go on."

Ren sighed, took a deep breath, and walked up to his desk. "Uh...hi...?" he managed. It sounded more like a question than a statement.

Brick smiled a half-smile. "Hi."

Butch turned around, snorting. "Humph."

Ren awkwardly sat down, pulling out his pencil case and books.

"There's no homework for today," Mr. Apocally said up front, "because Ren needs to catch up. Ren, you'll be doing yesterday's homework. I'm sure you don't need to catch up on everything we've been learning, as you've probably already learned it. I am simply assigning yesterday's work to you so that you can figure out what we're learning."

Buttercup rolled her eyes. Mr. Apocally probably wanted to torture the new student with homework.

Walking into Mr. Evan's class, Buttercup quietly got into her seat. Butch was sitting beside her, and Mr. Evans was busy writing something on the board. The helper teacher, who only showed up once or twice a week, lingered in the back.

. Finally, Mr. Evans turned around and said, "Alright, class; settle down." The students stopped chatting to stare at their teacher. "As you should all know, we have a new student joining us today."

Buttercup rested her head on her hand, glancing at Butch. He shrugged, blowing black hair out of his eyes. Boomer was sitting nearby, eyes lingering silently on the door. Since Boomer wasn't in the same Math class as the greens, he hadn't yet met the "Ren" kid.

Mr. Evans turned to the door. "Please, come on in."

Buttercup held her breath as the door opened slightly. She already knew who Ren was and what he looked like, but the suspense was still in the air. When the door creaked open, the boy who stepped through smiled sheepishly. His green eyes glowed as he tugged at his white scarf. His brown hair fell into his face.

Butch snorted from his seat. Buttercup didn't know why, but he didn't like Ren much. She offered the boy a slight wave. She still suspected she'd seen him somewhere before, but there wasn't much she could do about it.

"Okay, class. This is Ren. I want all of you to welcome him warmly and with open arms," Mr. Evans stated.

Shamus, the helper teacher, visibly straightened. He coughed quietly.

"Oh, right. Class, Shamus has something to say," Mr. Evans stated, glancing at his colleague.

Shamus stood up and walked over to the front of the class, placing a hand on Ren's shoulder. Ren looked embarrassed. "This is my nephew, Ren."

Whispers immediately shot through the class.

Buttercup's eyes widened a little. "Huh, I do see the resemblance," she mused out loud.