Chapter 17 : A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Chapter 19: A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Sighing, the green Powerpuff Girl bit down on her pencil. Mr. Evans was reading something on the board, pushing his glasses up his nose. Buttercup snuck a glance at Butch beside her, who had his cheek resting on his hand. He looked bothered.

Buttercup thought back to outside the classroom before class had started. She had introduced Butch to the new student, Vincent. Butch's reaction had left her concerned. He'd screamed at Vincent, "Why the fuck are you at Townsville High!?" That reaction was enough to leave anyone concerned.

Vincent had been rightfully confused. "Umm.? I'm sorry, but do I even know you?" he said with a half-hearted chuckle.

"Don't deny it! You know you do," Butch had snapped back, his eyeballs nothing more than pinpricks.

Vincent shook his head. "I'm sorry, I don't know you."

"But you're—" Butch had stopped himself and took a deep breath to calm down. "Fine. Let's say you don't know me. Who are you, and why are you at Townsville High?"

"I'm Vincent, Michael's cousin. Michael says he knows you guys, so I'll assume I don't have to explain who he is," Vincent began.

" Which Michael?" asked Buttercup. "There's Ren's friend or Michelle's brother or Antonio's friend—"

"Ren 's friend," Vincent stated.

Butch snorted. "I've never heard anything about Danes having a son. Your story sure is off to a great start," he added sarcastically.

" I'm not Danes' son. I'm the son of Michael's Uncle Paul."

"Yeah, right."

"Well, I can't do anything about it if you don't want to believe me." Vincent frowned.

"I don't fucking care who or what you are," snarled Butch. "Just stay away from us."

Vincent had shaken his head. "I'm sorry, but Blossom asked me to have lunch with you guys."

Butch froze as if Vincent had struck him. "She...what!?"

"She did, Butch; she told me so," Buttercup had intervened with one of her hands on his chest to but distance between him and the other male.

Butch narrowed his eyes. "...Fine. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. And that doesn't mean I have to like you."

The bell had rung then, and Butch stormed off. Buttercup followed, waving slowly at Vincent. "Sorry; he's a little hostile," she had said.

"I know," Vincent had replied, smiling and waving back. His eyes looked like arches as he tilted his head to one side.

. Thinking back to his words, they sent shivers down Buttercup's spine. How does he know if he said he didn't realize butch? Am I reading too deep into his words? Maybe he said that because the RRB is famous enough that he'd understand what Butch's personality is like, Buttercup wondered.

"Okay, now go ahead and work on your projects," Mr. Evans finally said.

Buttercup blinked, snapping out of her dazed thoughts. She turned to Butch, who was still staring off to the side. Buttercup shook him slightly. "Butch, come on. It's time to work on our project."

The green Ruff's eyes widened, and he turned to stare at Buttercup. He opened his mouth and closed it like a goldfish. His eyes were distant. One word escaped his lips—it looked like "Damon," but then he seemed to return to reality. He shook his head. "Sorry, what?" he asked.

"..., our project, you know, the one we've been working on?" Buttercup repeated in exasperation.

"Oh, right. Sorry," he said.