chapter 14 : concerned wolves

School was over at last!

Groaning, Ren dragged himself to his locker and tossed his bag inside.

"...Yo."

Ren turned as he closed his locker door to see Michael. "...Oh hey, Mikey. What were all those texts about?"

"...I need to talk to you," Michael repeated. "...Not here," he added, as if he read Ren's mind.

Ren frowned but nodded anyway. "'Kay," he agreed.

"Hey, Ren!" a new voice called.

Ren looked up to see Deth walking towards them. Where were you during lunch?"

"I was with some new friends," Ren said, fixing his scarf.

"Ditching us? unbelievable," he said sarcastically

Ren rolled his eyes,. "i am not."

DJ looked up. "So who were they?"

"Uhh...Butch, Brick, Boomer, and e—"

DJ stiffened. "...' Butch, Brick, and Boomer'...?"

Ren blinked, confused. "...Uh, yeah...? Why?"

DJ growled. "I don't like the Jojo brothers that much...especially that Butch," he huffed. He blinked then, scrunching his eyebrows. "You should know why," he added then. "Why are you—?"

Michael stopped him by placing his hand on DJ's shoulder and shaking his head.

Deth stared at him in surprise before huffing and pouting as he turned away.

"...What?" Ren asked.

"Nothing," Michael said coolly. He hesitated then, before saying, "...just be careful."

"Why—?"

"Hey, Ren.."

He turned to see Ethan and a slightly waving, straight-faced Denji. "...Hey, guys," Ren managed to greet.

Denji nodded, pulling his hood tighter over his head as he blew a blue bubble from his gum. "How was your first day?" He stared at Ren with those penetrating eyes of his.

Ren grinned sheepishly and awkwardly at Denji's strong gaze. "...I uh...well... .. It went well..."

"...That's nice," Denji commented, letting his gum pop.

DJ swung over beside him. "He's friends with those Jojo guys"

Denji stiffened,

"...what why?." Ethan said out loud surprising the group

Ren blinked, confused. "...Guys...? What's wrong...?"

"...Nothing," Michael sighed, walking over. "...We're just...worried, is all."

"...Oh, okay." Ren frowned, blinking as he stared at his friends. Were they...hiding something from him...?

Michael put his hand up and said, "We're not hiding anything from you."

"...Okay," Ren agreed reluctantly after a moment's pause.

Michael nodded.

A tense silence descended on the friends as they just stared at one another, none of them daring to say a thing.

All of a sudden, Ren's phone rang.

Flushing, Ren picked up. " Si?"

"...Ren. Where are you?"

It was Shamus.

...dammit.

he realized he was taking quite a while... "Sorry, Shamus. I'm just talking to Michael and—"