Maturity

HMCS Haida's P.O.V

The sound of artillery resounded across the waves as the new batch of destroyers dashed across the ocean surface, trying to hit the distant targets. From what I was told, they were trained back home during and after their sea trials. However, with the disastrous accuracy and poor maneuvers they displayed, it was clear they either didn't receive enough or didn't pay attention.

A sigh slipped through my lips while I watched their frustrations rise with each round they fired. I don't know why the hell I was put in charge of training them; I'm not teacher material. 

Right now, I could've been lounging back while watching TV or out on patrol hunting the little rat bastards that invaded our home. Instead, my day was ruined trying to get these ships to hit at least something.

"Alright! That's it!" I gained their attention. "It's clear we have to start from the basics; just fire at them while stationary for now. Get a sense of your guns and their trajectories, or something. . . Just practice your accuracy!" 

The ships all shared looks before nodding. While they lined up and began to aim at the distant target buoys, I let out another sigh while scratching my head. The destroyers opened fire, only to miss each of the targets yet again.

"You're not very helpful." Micmac pointed out from beside me.

"Wha- of course I'm not! I don't know how to teach! I'm a warrior!" 

"A warrior, eh?" 

"How many kills have you chalked up then, sister?" 

Micmac waved off my challenge while rolling her eyes. "It's always about scores with you."

"Damn right! That title is mine and mine alone. Gotta remind people who's the queen of our class, ya know?"

"More like the queen of egotism."

"Shut up"

Micmac snorted at the sudden change in my tone. While stifling her laugh, I shook my head and looked back at the destroyers to see their accuracy finally get tighter around the targets. 

For a month, my sister and I have been assigned to train these destroyers! a month! 

If we started with them at a better skill level, then I may not have been as cranky as I am now, but that doesn't mean I would've enjoyed it.

So long as they do well in their classes, then the chance of them improving rapidly is high. However, if they don't pay attention to Pennsylvania's studies, then I'll be sure to smack the information into their skulls myself.

"Got it!" Ortona threw a fist in the air as the orange buoy in the distance began to sink. It was then that all eyes turned to me for a response, making me a little uncomfortable. 

"W-well, keep going! In battle, you need to be able to hit a target dead center in a matter of seconds; otherwise, you're dead. Keep training your accuracy."

Once more, the ships all nodded and faced the targets with their turrets ready to fire. Continuing to observe their work, I crossed my arms while trying to think of a topic to cure the boredom that was taking over.

"Guess I'm glad I'm not the one teaching them tactics."

"Of course you're not. What tactics do you know other than charging in like a maniac?"

"Oh, you're asking for it." 

"Ah, ah, ah! We need to set a good example for the kids: no violence." Micmac waved a finger in my face while holding a smile. I let out a huff and backed away as I realized she was right.