Punishment

HMCS Ontario's P.O.V

"Y-You're kidding me. . ." My jaw dropped.

Quebec, Who sat on the armrest of the couch, simply crossed her arms and shrugged. "Nope. They were just goofing off instead of training those ships. Of course I'm going to punish them for disobeying orders like that."

"By having them clean the entire dorms in the complete nude?!"

Once again, Quebec shrugged, her features showing little interest in my disapproval. "They gotta learn, eh?"

"Quebec! That's too far!"

"Well hell, I could have had them clean one of the public facilities like that. Then the whole base could have seen."

"You're crazy. . ." I said. Quebec flashed a sinister look towards me, which sent a shiver down my spine. Lately, in the commander's absence, she has begun to grow harsher in her punishments for disobedience. Her twisted ways always consisted of some form of embarrassment, like she gained a sick pleasure in watching those she degraded.

From as far back as I know, she was always like this. However, the commander who despised such punishment had managed to keep it in check for as long as he was in charge. Now that he was gone, I was left without any knowledge of how to control it. Quite frankly, I was a little scared to try.

So many poor ships were put in embarrassing situations because of their actions, gaining Quebec a feared reputation whenever she caught them. It was like night and day for her. So long as you didn't do anything to warrant a response, you saw her as a respectful friend and ally. One with a kind smile and a friendly attitude.

However, that personality of hers could so easily flip like a switch if she caught you stepping out of line. She was anal to all hell about orders and disobedience. Here at base, you had an easier time considering you weren't always working. Out at sea, however, you were always on the job. You always had a responsibility, and in her eyes, that responsibility was not one you could disobey.

It wasn't just that he was blocking her from doing it; the commander actually made her softer and more lenient about the subject. It didn't bother her as much as it used to as well as it does now. But since the coma, she slowly grew back into the terrifying woman who enjoys watching the embarrassment on people's faces.

Issues like these were what always made me wish he left me with a manual on how to run this damn fleet. He knew all our strengths and weaknesses and managed to create methods of help that were curated for each ship. But like the Library of Alexandria, that information was lost along with him, and I only knew so little of it left.

"Quebec. . ." I had her refocus on me. "You can't do that."

"Why? They didn't follow orders; just played around."

"Quebec. . ." Using a more authoritative tone, I stared her down in hopes of making her uneasy. If there was any time to start finding my own methods, it would be now, before the problems persisted. Despite the fear of her unknown reaction, I was putting my foot down to try and regain the control my new position should hold.

Quebec recoiled slightly while her eyes widened from the glare I held. Her shoulders tensed up, and to my surprise, she didn't speak back to me. For once, and so shockingly easily at that, I managed to hold my rank above her.

"Tabarnak. . ." She cussed before smiling. "You look just like Commander Thompson. I got chills."

I shrunk a little at the comparison she made. Heat rose in my face, as I wasn't expecting to hear something like that. In a way, it sounded like a compliment, but I was too embarrassed to perceive it as one. Still, I found it to fill me with confidence. Perhaps I had come farther than I thought in this position, and now, just maybe, I could prove to him that his belief in me wasn't misplaced.