Chapter 1- the southern air temple

Omni (12) watched as the boys ran around and played air scooter tag around the temple

"Omni, it's time to feed the bison they are getting l hungry!" Yei Lu tapped on omnis shoulder. "Okay!" Omni said. Yei Lu had always been like a mother to Omni as she didn't know her real parents.

She and Yei Lu walked to where the sky bison stayed. Omni fed her favorite sky bison, Yigu an apple. Yigu licked Omni. "Hey buddy!" Omni giggled.

Omni used her air bending to blow Yigus slobber off of her. "Astonishing air bending, Omni!" Said Yei Lu. "Thanks." Omni said as she fixed her hair. "Maybe one day you will be able to get your arrows." Said Yei Lu.

"But I thought women couldn't get their tattoos." I sighed. "Nothings impossible." Said Yei Lu. "At the western air temple where you will be going to live soon, that is all women and that is where you can get tattoos." Said Yei Lu. "How come you never went to the western or eastern air temple?" I asked.
"The temples are separated by gender. I came here to be your personal mentor. As I will also be going with you to the western temple. I also don't have tattoos because I'm not even an airbender." She said

"you would have been taken there at birth but there were a few.... Complications that prevented that." She said as she gave one of the lemurs a nut.

Complications?

"What if I don't even want to be a nomad what if i wanted to just be a normal person?" Omni asked.
"Your destiny is your choice if that's what you want to do that is your chosen destiny." Said Yei Lu. Omni smiled.

"It was great feeding the bison with you but I think I'm gonna go now." Omni said Bowing to her mentor.

"Have a splendid day, Omni." Yei Lu bowed back.

~~

Omni walked to the garden to practice her air bending. Before she got there she bumped into her friend, Ganal (14)

"Oh hey Omni!" He said. His lemur, Fifi climbed around her neck. "Hey little missy!" She said as she scratched Fifi's neck. "What's up?" Omni greeted him. "When are you leaving for the western air temple?" He asked.

"I think in a few days." Omni said. "How's airbending been?" Omni asked. "It's been okay I'm not as good as everyone else but I'll catch up." He said, scratching his thankfully not bald head. An awkward silence fell between them. A loud boom sounded caught her attention. She jerked her head over.

"Oh no..." ganal said.
"The new Chen society airships." She pointed.
"I need to find Yei Lu!" She started running towards the stables. "Omni wait!" Ganal ran after her. The airbenders were trying their best to fight them off. Explosions sounded all over the temple.

Soldiers from the new avatar society ran out of the airships benders of all kinds even airbenders.

"Yei Lu!" She turned the corner to the  stables only to see Yei Lu getting pinned down by a fire bender. "Run Omni you need to get out of here!" Omni didn't run she tried her best to airbend  at the man but he was unmovable.

"You're just a child your weak." The soldier said. "Omni I'll be fine, now Go!" She yelled. She started running away and ran back into ganal but she looked and the new avatar society was retreating.

She grabbed Ganals arm and started running towards the stables again. There was Yei Lu. She was dead. She had been burned alive.

"Omni..." Ganal covered Omni's eyes. But it didn't matter, she saw what she saw. She ran away crying. That's when she realized that Yei Lu wasn't coming back like she always does.

~~

Omni put her hair into her usual style of 2 short buns.  She slipped on a large cloak and packed her bags. She put a necklace with the air nomad symbol engraved into it that Yei Lu had given her. She put it in her bag. There was just one thing she was missing. She went to where they kept all the gliders. She chose one for herself. It felt weird holding a glider she had never used one before.

She quietly ran to the stables. The floor was still stained with Yei Lu's blood. She crept over to Yigu. She put a saddle on him and turned to get an apple to wake Yigu up a little bit.
The moon shined over the temple it was ruined. It would take years to rebuild. She turned around and started climbing up Yigu.

"Hello there." Ganal was already on his saddle.
"Where do you think your going!" Ganal said. "None of your business." Omni snarled.
"Well as far as I can see I know how to ride a flying bison and you don't so." Ganal said. "I'm starting my own resistance. You can't stop me Ganal." She pushed him aside and tied her sleeping bag to Yigus saddle.  "I'm not, I'm coming with you." He said.

"Whatever." Omni said

"I'll take us to the earth kingdom maybe we can find someone there." Ganal slid down and grabbed ahold of Yigus leash.

Omni slowly drifted off to sleep with fifi in her lap. She had a long journey ahead of her.