Chapter 2 - The Play

Ganal woke up to the sound of his stomach rumbling. "Hey Omni?"

Omni sat up "Yeah?" She yawned. "Do you have any food?" He asked.
"That's the one thing i forgot." She groaned. "I see a town maybe we can get some food down there. Ganal landed yigu and they walked into town. They walked up to a vegetable stand and picked out a lot of fresh produce.

"That will be 10 silver pieces." Said the merchant. "Oh wait we don't have any money sorry." Said Omni. The merchant ripped the basket out of omnis hands. They walked away. "Well we don't have money." Said Omni. They started to walk back to Yigu. "Wait look." Omni pulled Ganals arm. "Read the poster." Omni said

The mother of faces
A play by the chao acting tribute
Auditions are at the chao preforming arts stage.
All participants get 100 silver pieces

Omni looked at Ganal. "You thinking what I'm thinking?" Said Omni.
"Uhm I think so?" Said Ganal.

They both went to the location on the poster and they got there right in time.

"Welcome everybody to the play mother of faces" said chao the director.

Everyone started clapping.

They did auditions and went through everyone but Omni ended up being a tree and Ganal was given the role of a waiter that shows up once in the play. "Guess we aren't very good actors." Ganal whispered to Omni. Omni chuckled.

~~

"Wake up we have to go to rehearsals!" Omni shook Ganal awake. "5 more minutes..." Ganal pulled his sleeping bag over his head. "No!" Omni blew air at him. "Okay fine just give me like 5 minutes." Ganal said. They both got ready and walked back to the stage.

They both sat down "Good morning everyone!"  Said chao. "Let's get to work!" Chao scanned the group of people. He pointed to Omni. "Hey you." Said chao. "Take off your glasses." He said.

"But I- "I don't care." Said chao
Omni took off her glasses she could barely see. everything was a blur. "The play is tonight we will be handing out scripts."

"Isn't tonight a little soon?" Asked Ganal
"Hush up chatty person!" Said chao. "I- uhm okay." Said Ganal.

"I can't read this at all." Omni handed her paper to Ganal. "It looks like you just stand in the corner the entire play." Ganal read the script. "That doesn't sound that bad." Omni sighed.

They started practicing until they were ready.

"Here are your costumes!" Cheo said.
"These are the most atrocious outfits I've seen." Omni said, looking at her clothes.

Chao clapped. "Get in your clothes now! The show is starting!

~~

The people clapped as the curtains opened. There was a beautiful girl in amazing clothing and a boy in just a white shirt and pants.

"Oh Bao! We shall fall in love and start a legacy together!" The woman said. "I promise Hira." The man said. The two actors kissed. Omni stuck her tongue out. The curtains opened again. "Mother you will never believe what Bao told me!" She ran to an older woman playing her mother.

"About that.. I found a wealthy man in ba sing same for you to marry it will bring great honor to our family."

"But mother!" The actor started to fake cry. "But I'm in love'"

" your new husband is here." An ugly looking man walked out on stage. "I'm sorry Bao my heart beats for you!" As she walked offstage holding hands with the man.

"I am so broken I will go into forgetful valley!" The actor yelled before running offstage. Omni saw it was her turn and went onstage to stand in the corner but she tripped and fell over. "Oof!" She was so embarrassed but she just pretended nothing happened and got back up.

A woman in a beautiful but scary costume with plastic masks covering her came onstage and looked at the man. "Hello Bao, have you come to claim your new identity? Leaving your old life behind?" She asked

"Who are you?" He looked up at her.

"I am the mother of faces." She said.

"I want a new identity, a new beginning." He said.

"Very well." She put her hand over his face and than ran offstage. he pathetically covered his face and ran offstage. A new person came out.

"This must be my new face!" He said.

~~

Omni watched from backstage as the play continued.

"Hello have you seen Bao it's me Hira and I've come home." She asked the new actor for Bao. "I can tell you. But let me buy you lunch first." He said.

"My name is Tei Long. I am the leader of the acting troupe here." He said.

"Nice to meet you tei long." She shook his hand.

"What would you like to drink?" Ganal came on with one of the fakest mustaches ever.

"Just a water for both of us." Tei long said.

"I better get going." Hira said.

"Wait" Tei long grabbed her hand.

"Remember when we were 16 and you broke my heart into a million pieces?" He asked.

She turned around. "Bao?"

The two actors kissed until the curtains closed.

Omni gagged and ganal started laughing.

~~

Omni pulled out her sleeping bag and started untying her hair and she slowly but surely she fell asleep.

"Yei Lu?" She looked up and rubbed her eyes.
"Hello Omni."

"What is this place." She looked around.

But before she could say anything yei lu had faded into the darkness of the night.