CUPID [ 18 ]

Since the day where the confession between Taerae and Haseul took place, both of them had come to terms to start their relationship off with a date. It was a suggestion made by Haseul, and Taerae couldn't find any reason to object against it.

Everything happened too fast for him that he can't really do anything about it. Apparently he accidentally ‘confessed’, Haseul accepted him, and now they're on their first date.

Though he was hoping to feel some spark from this so called date, he can't help but feeling lost.

His eyes landed on the girl that was currently sitting right in front of him. She was focused on choosing the menu, while he stares at her blankly.

When she tucked her hair behind her ears, she looked pretty, as usual.

The way she speaks to him with her soft voice, asking him about his favorite food and drinks, it would melt any men out there.

But still, Taerae could feel nothing.

What's wrong with him?

“Taerae..? Are you okay?”

“Oh, um, I'm okay. Why?”

“You seemed to be out of space just now. Is there's something bothering you?”

He pursed his lips at the question before he clarified, “Nothing. I'm just a little...nervous, I guess” he dropped his gaze, fiddling with his fingers.

Haseul noticed the odds, but she choose not to point it out since she knew he would be uncomfortable. She flashed him a reassuring smile, which he tried to reciprocate with a genuine one.

“Honestly, I'm nervous too. What if I accidentally embarrass myself in front of you?” she cracked, feeling somehow relieved when he chuckled eventhough the pretty smile of his fades away in a matter of seconds.

“Have you ever been on a date before?” she asked again, trying to keep the conversation going.

Shaking his head, he admitted, “Not even once”

She let out a small gasp, “So I'm actually your first date...?”

He just shrugged, “Yeah”

“Then, am I your first love?”

First love...?

The image of Yunseo suddenly flashed through his mind.

Taerae was too naive to even know what a first love feels like. Haseul was definitely the first girl that he ever had a crush on. But now that he wasn't really attracted to her anymore, could she truly be his first love?

Many people say that one's first love is hard to let go and difficult to be forgotten.

And even in moments like this, all he could think of is Yunseo.

What is she doing right now?

She has successfully matched us up together, will she disappear?

No, I don't want her to disappear.

The excitement that Haseul was feeling lessened as she waited for his answer. Though, she already knew the answer just by sensing the hesitancy in him.

“I'm sorry, I was just joking. Just, ignore what I said” she tried to brush it off, but Taerae finally snapped out of his thoughts, guilt starting to grow on him for accidentally dismissing her.

He shook his head, “I think you are my first love... Because I have never liked anyone before you”

And yet again, he didn't speak for himself.

+++

The night was cold as she aimlessly strolled through the dark.

Yunseo was wondering if Taerae was curious about her whereabouts, since she decided not to show up in front of him for the whole day. It's not like she was hoping for him to worry about her, since she was in no place to do so.

Today was his first date. She knew about it since he told her every single thing that happened between him and Haseul. Except, she noticed the lack of enthusiasm in his voice everytime he talked about it.

When he was telling her that him and Haseul was going on their first date, it was just him looking befuddled most of the time. It worries Yunseo because he wasn't being himself.

She wanted to talk about it to him, but she couldn't exactly get the words out to ask him. Besides, it may be too late for her to even worry about it.

She will just consider that her business is done, though her heart was still the same, beating for a guy that she knows she could never have the chance with.

According to her predictions, she will start to vanish once the sun rises tomorrow.

She has been going through the same thing for years, and it has never changed ever since. She failed her mission, was given a few days to erase her mission's memories about everything that happened and then she will vanish.

It was like a cursed loop for her. Except for this time, she was truly hoping for a different ending–where she finally gets to reincarnate.

Sparks of hope was starting to grow within her since a lot has happened between Taerae and Haseul, but at the same time it crushed her soul everytime she thinks of Taerae.

Every good things will eventually come to an end, and to her, the good thing was Taerae and the time that she had spent with him. She was sure to brace herself for the departure. It would hurt her because she loves him, but atleast she will be at ease knowing he gets to be happy by ending up with the one that he loves.

Besides, he will not remember her by the end of day

since she will erase all of his memories about her.

+++

In the room filled with dim light, seated Taerae at his study table. There were books and papers everywhere, indicating that he was busy studying for the upcoming exam. But right now, he has no motivation to study anymore.

He stayed up late in hope to see Yunseo in his sight. The clock has reached 2 a.m. and yet there were no signs that shows she would come home anytime soon.

“Please show up, Yunseo...” he mumbled to himself, eyes roaming around to each corners of the room.

Time keeps running. His eyes were getting heavy, but he tried his hard to not fall asleep. In order to do so, he continued on studying to keep himself awake but his brain just can't process any information anymore.

He ended up resting his head on the table, unconsciously dozing off.

The study lamp that was left switched on by the sleepy boy suddenly shut on its own.

That was when Yunseo slowly appeared in the dark. She approached Taerae and put a blanket over him to keep his body warm.

Taking one of his pen and a piece of sticky note, she started to write down her supposed goodbye. She was feeling too emotional at the moment, and in order to not mess up the goodbye message, it ended up with only four words written on the note.

At first she was hesitant to let her hands come in contact with his hand, but then again, all of it was coming to an end.

She finally held his warm hand, soothing her thumb over it before she slowly let go of his hand.

Not long after, the poor boy shifted in his sleep. His eyes were slightly open but he was still in his subconscious state.

In front of him, he saw a blurry sight of someone fondly smiling at him before the figure slowly disappears into thin air, leaving him with an unknown sorrow heaving his heart.

+++

Aaandddd what if I end it like this? >:)