eight

"these are healing very well. no sign of brain bleeds or infection," doctor carson said as he pulled off his gloves after finishing her exam. it had now been about a week since the incident at her cabin with daily visits to carson to make sure there was no brain damage. with that, that past week had been filled with being taken care by negan. "i can't say for certain that you aren't going to have a scar but overall you're fine."

"thanks carson." annabelle smiled at the older man.

carson turned and gave a nod to negan who watched leaned against the wall across from the medical bed. she stood to her feet and immediately negan walked over and took her arm to help. annabelle laughed at the man's movement. "negan i'm okay, i can walk."

"can't i just take care of you?" negan grinned.

she sighed. "negan.. you can't get used to me being around. i appreciate everything you've done for me, before and after what happened. but i meant what i said that i can't stay here."

"where are you going to go? your cabin is overrun annabelle." negan grimaced at her.

"i was gonna ask if you'd help me clear out my area, i-.. i need to go back to my home negan." annabelle spoke softly when he snapped at her. negans face softened when he glanced back over to see the look on her face. the sad, the scared look in her eyes. he remained silent as they walked out of the room and through the cafeteria area toward the stairs.

she glanced around the busy area only to find five pairs of eyes staring her down. the women in black dresses she saw during her first visit sat at a table in the corner of the room. though this time they weren't wearing black dresses, they were wearing casual t-shirts and jeans.

annabelle walked with negan back to his room and took a seat on the couch together. it took another minute for him to respond. "what is it. what's the reason you want to go back? why you don't want to stay here with me."

"i'm safe there." she whispered.

"you're safe here, safe with me." negan stared at the girl who kept her head down as she fiddled with her fingers. she almost didn't know how to respond.

"i know.. i feel so safe with you but~" she cut herself off and lowered her head more.

"but what annabelle. you know i'll take care of you, i'll give you anything and everything." negan sighed. but it enraged something in her. something that hadn't left met mind these last few months.

"if i sleep with you in rotation of your wives? right? isn't that the conditions you gave me to be 'taken care of' if i left my home? what decision do you expect me to make negan?" annabelle snapped at the man. she felt guilty for it even in the moment because he's done nothing but treat her with respect and take care of her. but she knew what he wanted and the disrespect angered her.

"annabelle no that's~" negan didn't get a chance to finish his sentence before she stood to her feet and grabbed her coat along with roman's leash.

"just leave me alone negan," she snapped as she connected the leash to the dogs collar.

negan followed her out the door, down the stairs and out the front doors of the building. all while he called her name though nothing stopped her. she walked to the gate, telling the men who guarded to open it, which they did. she assumed that it was negans doing that his men would do whatever she asked this past week. "annabelle where are you even going?"

"back home, i'll clear them out myself." annabelle said as she continued to walk down the long dirt road that lead in and out of the sanctuary.

negan sighed and ran to catch up to her where he grabbed her arm to stop her from getting any farther away. she tried to pull her arm away but his hold didn't budge. "quit it, stop being so damn stubborn and just talk to me a minute."

"go away negan!" she called out as she kept going.

"i don't want you to be one of my wives." negan sighed. "i want you to be my wife. my only wife."

annabelle stopped in her tracks. that was when the realization hit her. his wives this morning wearing casual clothes, not one time did he talk or visit any of them. it was all her. all for her. she sighed and turned around to look at him. "why?"

"because i like you, i care about you." negan chuckled. "why is that so hard to believe?"

"can't say i'm used to it.." she trailed off. "but i don't want to be considered your wife, not now. i'm not rushing into anything, not making commitments." annabelle stated.

"i can work with that, a princess it is." negan smiled as she bit her lip while she pushed her hair behind her ear. he walked to her and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her head into his chest. she immediately melted into his hold while he placed a kiss on her head. "come on, let's get you inside."

the two walked back while roman ran circles on the way. negan laughed at her, "you are one stubborn motherfucker you know that right?"

"i know, but be honest you eat this shit up," she grinned at him.

"mm there's a lot more i wanna eat up too." those words and the smirk in his face sent chills down her spine. you couldn't deny how badly his comments and the looks his sends her turned her on. negan sensed it from the way her cheeks burned up. negan leaned into her her ear, "i know that taking things slow is going to kill you just as much as me."

she moaned in response to the tingles sent through her body. the touch of his lips against her ear, his hot breath blowing against her skin. she moaned out in attempt to fight this urge. "negan,"

negan chuckled as he pulled away from her. he kept an arm around her as they walked up to the gates which were immediately opened for them. as she looked at the big building in front of her she couldn't help the nerves. this was her new home, her new usual. though the idea of losing her cabin terrified her, she felt safe with negan.

she just prayed that this wasn't a mistake.