Chapter 4: Assistance

As much as he hated to admit it, Ishan's suggestion for a morning run was working wonders - his body had grown lithe, his brain had grown more alert, and they spent more time bonding - the guards and the family - which led to a more relaxed atmosphere.

Everyone was gathered on the ground - some warming up and others running laps. Shubman and Shahneel were engaged in a wrestling match, with people egging them on, and Shikhar showing Shahneel some threatening moves.

Ishan joined the onlookers.

"Kya bhai, mere khiladi ko kyu hara rahe ho aap?"

"Toh tu seekha na - oh I forgot, your ultimate move is to wiggle your way out."

Siraj and Yuzi joined Shikhar in teasing Ishan, but when Shubman started laughing at him, Ishan's face morphed into one of betrayal.

"E tu, brute? You're supposed to be on my team, boss!"

"Call me Shubman and maybe I will," said Shubman, with a cheeky smile.

Ishan just stuck his tongue out in response and began working rounds.

Shaking his head, Shubman approached Siraj and asked,

"Everyone of you calls me by my name, what's wrong with him?"

"Have you asked him?"

"What do I look like - an idiot? You know he'd run away the minute I confronted him."

Siraj just nodded in response. Shubman continued.

"Would you tell me?"

Siraj feigned shock and let out a gasp.

"Are you asking me to betray my best friend like that? Oh, the shame!"

Shubman laughed.

"I just...I just feel like maybe I am doing something wrong. Everyone gets along so well, and here I am, who can't even get his bodyguard to listen to him."

Siraj suddenly felt bad for the boy. He patted him on his shoulders.

"Listen - it's not anything you did, trust me. Ishan's different - he has his own ways of dealing with things. Maybe, and don't tell him I told you this - he operates solo most of the time, and the very few times he was on security details...well, let's just say no one wants to see your boss naked waving at you to save him while he floats on a raft. He'll protect you with his life, don't worry about it. Our Ishu is just a little bit emotionally stunted. Just...give him time, will you?"

"And he'll finally come around?"

Siraj looked at Ishan, who kept trying to glance at them surreptitiously.

"Sooner than you think, buddy, sooner than you think."

—-------------------------------------------------------------------

An impromptu basketball match was set up - Ishan made a big show about being on the big boss's team, not that it had anything to do with Shubman being on the other team. They lost, spectacularly, to which Ishan said -

"Oh c'mon, they cried foul more times than Surya Bhau does when he can't figure out how we cheated on Scrabbles."

Surya piped up.

"I knew you bitches lied about that - no way you knew most of those words, I mean, what even is adumbrate?"

"Something you should indulge in - given how long your stories are."

Ishan chose to ignore Surya's gasp and continued.

"Rematch?"

Shubman had enough of his mouthy bodyguard. He walked up to Ishan.