Chapter 14: Unrest

I have no idea when I will update next - only a strong comeback from Ishan can heal me. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 months later —

"Sab thik, Shikhar bhai?"

"I am not telling you anything. I am pissed at you."

"You have to - protocol mandates it."

"Protocol dictates I have to tell you deets about your mission, nothing about what's going on here. So no, I am not telling you anything."

Silence on the other end. Then —

"Are you pouting, Ishan? You know I can't see you, you idiot, this is a voice call, and you can pout to your heart's content, I am still not telling you anything."

"Bhai, please."

Shikhar was the toughest motherf**ker on the planet, but when Ishan pleaded in a broken voice, even the toughest melted.

Shikhar exhaled roughly.

"Did you know it was his birthday last week?"

"I know."

"Thanks for his gift, by the way - even though he's never going to know you sent him a gift."

"Umm, what gift?"

"What am I, stupid? I know those paid hires from Chopra didn't magically turn to the light side. You nabbed them, didn't you?"

"No comment."

Shikhar put a frustrated hand over his head.

"Ishan yaar, aa jaa na, bohot ho gaya ab. We miss you, he misses you. Every time any phone rings, his eyes light up with hope that it's you. We hate looking at the light in his eyes getting dimmer by day."

Silence.

"Do you know how pissed he was that you left without telling him? He wouldn't come out of his room, he didn't say a word for days, he constantly kept evading his bodyguard — Rohit bhai was one drink away from blasting you to pieces because of the headache your leaving gave him."

"Have you called me to cry about how much Rohit bhai is riding you or will you ask how I am?"

"Aww, don't cry Ishu, you're still Yuzi's favorite."

"Not you?"

"No, I am team Shubi now."

"Bhai...."

"Fine, fine - no more. How are you? All okay? Ready for casual duty?"

"Not yet."

"Ishan - kya hai ye? I read the reports, you know. You narrowly missed bullets and knives thrice in the last 2 months, you were about to be blown in a bomb blast, and lord knows how you got out of the cartel zone. Rest kab karega, bachche? I know if I tell you to spill your feelings you won't, but at least khudko aise danger me toh mat daal? I know you like to think that you're a one-man army, but you forget that we are here for you, and there's someone waiting for you here - even though you are too stubborn to accept it and he's too angry with you to do something about it."

"Bhai...I need more time."

"Fine. One more mission and then I am asking Rohit to cut you off. Maan ja warna mai Shubi ko tera address de dunga."

Shikhar could see the eye roll miles away.

"Fine. Last one for a while, khush?"

"If I had any hair, they'd be turning grey now thanks to you."