Chapter 6: Kismet

This part is super short - the next one will definitely make up for it. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life becomes comparatively easier after. Ishan tries to respect Shubman's personal space and alone time, just hanging out in the background, while Shubman makes more of an effort to participate in Ishan's plans. They become joined at the hip, so much so that everyone expects one to follow when the other is seen. Shubman forms a closer bond with Virat, who takes him under his wing. Mr. Gill is beyond ecstatic about that, as Virat teaches him how to channel his frustrations into leadership and management skills in a way Mr. Gill never could.

Shikhar also includes Shubman in his close-knit group, affectionately calling Ishan and Shubman 'his kids' and they spend hours shooting breeze, with Shikhar and Siraj regaling Shubman with tales of their missions and Ishan's more scandalous stories.

"– and I kid you not, this 5'6'' tiny tot stood up to those Navy SEALs and punched them right in their precious spot."

Shubman could not control his laughter and ruffled Ishan's hair, who pouted as everyone joined in the laughter.

"Hey, how come you only tell the embarrassing ones?"

"Because they are all embarrassing," quipped Siraj.

"Oh yeah? Then let me tell the boss about the time some kid lit a firecracker behind your ass and you ran so fast all we could see was a cartoon silhouette of yours from those '90s cartoons."

Siraj threw a pillow at Ishan, which Ishan caught easily, wiggling his eyebrows at Siraj.

"C'mon, tell the boss stories of my exploits - like the time I flirted with this surfer dude to get us into this exclusive mafia-owned club, or the time I planted explosives with 30 seconds to spare, or the time this really hot chick got all up in my–"

"All right, that's enough Ishu - we have impressionable ears here," said Shikhar, putting his hands over Shubman's ears.

"Hey, I am not a kid!"

"Aren't you? C'mon, you just a small itty bitty little wittle baby," exclaimed Ishan, while pulling Shubman's cheeks. Shubman just slapped his hands away, while rolling his eyes at Ishan's antics.

"I am not the one who needs to buy his shoes from the kids sections," sniggered Shubman.

"That was one time!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shubman and Ishan were hanging in his room, lounging on the sofa. Ishan was cleaning his guns, while Shubman was pretending to read.

"So...."

"Spit it out, boss - I ain't got all day."

"When you said you flirted with some dude..."

Ishan raised his eyebrows at that.

"Why? You got a problem with that?" asked Ishan, while pointedly cleaning the barrel of his gun. Shubman gulped.

"No, no, of course not. I was just.....surprised. You've never shared many details about you, to be honest."

Ishan rubbed the back of his head.

"Yeah, well, it just slips out when I am with people close to me."

Shubman looks up, surprised.

"I am– I am one of the people close to you?"

Ishan turns red.

"Well, yeah – I don't let just anyone hear my embarrassing stories," Ishan mumbled, looking anywhere but at Shubman.

Overwhelmed, Shubman crosses the space to engulf Ishan in a tight hug. Ishan stills for a moment, then hugs back, tightening his arms around Shubman.

That's another change Ishan has brought in Shubman, his parents are relieved to notice. Shubman is considerably touchy now, hugging his parents more frequently, but it is nothing compared to how close he has gotten to Ishan.

He spends all his free time with Ishan, talking about nothing and everything. They sit together, eat together, and on one memorable occasion, even cook together (more like destroying the kitchen together, but it's the thought that counts). He hugs Ishan the most, often trying to sneak up on the bodyguard or even engaging in harmless fights that often end up with Shubman Ishan tickling to the ground.

Mr. and Mrs. Gill are overjoyed that Shubman has come out of his shell, but Shikhar is concerned.

He knows how Ishan operates - he's always held himself at a distance from people, afraid of getting hurt, afraid of letting anyone in. He knows Ishan still struggles to believe that people stay - Shikhar and Siraj make sure they always show Ishan they have his back. Ishan can be brave on the field, but his heart? That's an entirely different matter. Not to say that Shubman is any better - he's seen the way the boy looks at Ishan - he hangs on to every word Ishan says, glows when Ishan enters the room, and the surprised gasp at finding Ishan flirts with guys was something Shikhar had filed away for later.

For now, Shikhar lets the oblivious idiots be - but he braces himself for the drama - for drama there always will be.

Sighing, he turns his attention back to the screen.