Chapter 8

Orion must of slept because he woke up. He walked out of his room yawning while clutching his music box. He didn't care what other people would think at this point. When he saw breakfast he surprisingly wolfed it all down. Every last dish, if it wasn't someone else's already it was his. "Looks like someone's stress eating." Thistle said as if he had done it before. "Impressive, most people can't stomach anything before the games." Blight said sitting down and sipping some hot chocolate. Orion knew he would eventually be parted from his food and all the comfort that came with it. And it happened to soon, he was taken from his food, put in his hunger games out fit and driven to the arena. He didn't see any of it as they drove under ground and he went with pert to the room where he would be launched into the arena. His outfit was a breathable but durable suit which was very flexible. He could tell it would rip easily from a sword or knife which would make his skills much deadlier as there would not be armour in the hunger games. The suit was skin tight and he loved it. It was his district colour, Iron stone brown, and he suspected the other tributes would have their district colours so Gannet would be in plantation teal, which Orion thought was stupid. It should be some type of blue or maybe even seafoam green not teal. And Daisy would be in donkey brown which would be good for camouflage with dirt and tree trunks. He guessed the same would be for his colour since they were both brown. There was an announcement for Tributes to step on their platforms. "I'll be betting on you!" Pert said as Orion walked onto his platform. "Really?" Orion asked, "sure thing squirrel boy!" Pert said as glass sealed Orion away from him and the platform started rising. He waved away and felt great dread as heat blasted at him from all around. He knew he wouldn't survive the second he saw large swaths of sand, a giant desert! And he could see his fellow tributes confusion and the dread of Gannet as he knew he couldn't fish here. Orion spotted a pouch of knives on top of a leather saddle! Daisy was right! "WELCOME TRIBUTES!" Claudius Templesmith, the legendary commentator of the hunger games, boomed across the arena. "As you can see your in a desert, so unless your from district 6 your fucked! Oh sorry I meant screwed! Sorry to all you parents out there!" Claudius joked. "AND LET THE GAMES BEGIN!" Claudius boomed before the timer counted down to 0. Jumped off at 1 which was a risky move but gained him an extra meter as when he landed the mines were deactivated. He gained another meter as almost everyone but his allies stared in shock and then by the time they got going he was 3 metres ahead of everyone else. He was sure the crowd thought he was crazy but he knew what he was doing. He grabbed the pouch and threw a knife square into the head of a district 3 boy before tossing the saddle to Daisy. She grabbed 2 spears and ran off west. He got the knife out of the boy's head and the grabbed a backpack. He placed 2 knives into each boot just in case he got separated from the pouch. Then he grabbed a backpack. He saw a girl from district 6 charging at Gannet from behind with a sword. By the time gannet noticed she had a knife in the back of her head. Gannet looked at Orion's now blood splattered face in fear. Orion grabbed Gannet and ran off with him. Orion noticed the boy from 12 was following them so they ducked behind a sand dune waiting to ambush him before he called "WAIT!" He dropped his pickaxe and raised his arms to show he meant no harm. "Your name is Bailey right?" Gannet said suspiciously. "Yeah, I was wondering If I could join your alliance. Since that Daisy girl deserted you." Bailey said. "First of all she did not desert us and second of all why shouldn't we kill you right now? What do you bring to the table?" Gannet asked suspiciously. "I can use a pickaxe and know how to use explosions plus I have good supplies." Bailey said dropping everything. "Kill him" Gannet said. Orion trusted Gannet. He was smart and if he didn't trust him Orion didn't either. And they could just take his supplies anyway so Orion threw a knife straight into his heart. "Why didn't you trust him? Those skills sounded reasonable for a kid from 12 who would know how to mine for coal." Orion said as they rummaged through his loot. "Because kids from 12 don't learn how their industry works from a young age like the rest of us, and if he lied about that he was probably lying about the alliance. He'd just use us for our skills and stab us in the back when there was only him and another person left." Gannet said manner of factly. They continued but they were exhausted and dehydrated so they were walking instead of running. Then Ganney suddenly fell of a dune instead of walking down it. Orion looked over the edge and saw it just stopped in a sheer drop. "I'm coming down!" Orion said walking down the side of the dune noticing there was a cave in it. He dragged a groaning gannet inside the cave and saw that it had a natural spring flowing with clean water! And it created shade from the sun. It was better then an oasis because it created a hiding spot and their enemies could just fall down like Gannet did. He checked gannet. "Are you ok?" Orion asked. Gannet felt around and pondered a bit. "I'm pretty sure I've broken a rib and my arm." Gannet said wincing with pain. "Fuck it hasn't even been a day and your crippled." Orion said cradling Gannet. He heard 5 cannon shots in the distance. The bloodbath must of ended because they only fire the cannons after it. Now the careers would be hunting them, or Daisy. He noticed night was falling. Him and gannet layed at the mouth of the cave looking at the sky. They heard the anthem play and saw the faces of the boy from 3, the girl from 6, a boy from 9, a boy from 10 and Bailey from 12 in the sky. Then as the anthem ended the boy disappeared forever. What if he wasn't going to stab us in the back? He played his music box as he drifted to sleep. 19 remain...