Chapter 12

When Orion woke up he drank from the oasis. He set up some snares around the oasis knowing that animals would eventually come to drink and get caught in the snares. When he finished setting up his snares he came back and saw that the other two were bathing in the water. Orion took his clothes off and cannonballed into the oasis. "Gannet wasn't lying when he said you were a little chubby." Daisy teased playfully. "He was way chubbier while we were in the cave." Gannet said poking Orion's belly. "Oh big talk coming from someone who can't even open a pickle jar. And who is also obsessed with his appearance. You litterally spend half of your morning getting ready, I'm surprised you haven't complained more about not being able to apply your fucking make up." Orion said bitterly. "Oh you want to play that game? Says the one who still has a fucking teddy bear!" Gannet replied. "Really? Because last time I checked I was attractive." Orion said snarkily. "Atleast I can swim!" Gannet hissed. "Atleast I can lift more then 10 kilograms!" Orion replied. "Atleast I don't have to play my dead fucking mother's music box to fall asleep!" Gannet said before covering his mouth, but it was too late. Orion grabbed him by the throat and lifted him out of the water before dunking him back in. He held his squirming body under the surface. "Orion let him go!" Daisy said, Orion continued to keep Gannet away from the surface. "YOUR DROWNING HIM! STOP IT!" Daisy pleaded before Orion lifted him out of the water. He tossed him away and got changed back into his clothes. Orion sat down on a rock tracing the carved wooden box. He knew every square inch of it off by heart and knew every tiny groove like the back of his hand. Daisy sat down on a rock across from him. "I didn't know it was your mother's." Daisy said softly. "Not many people know, It's completely stupid isn't it?" Orion laughed. "It's not stupid, it's beautiful. From the way it's carved to the way it smells it's amazing. And the melody is really nice, I wouldn't blame you for playing it to calm down." Daisy said sincerely. "You don't know anything, it's not about it's texture, or smell, or sound it's about the memories. My mother sung the song to me when I was young, before I went to sleep. It's one of the things I remember about her, before she burned to death in a log fire." Orion said holding the music box. Daisy put her hand on his shoulder to comfort him. He was on the verge of tears but had to hold them back, but he just couldn't. He sat there and cried with his head in his hands for what seemed like hours. He eventually sat up and wiped away the tears. "Sometimes you just need a good cry." Daisy whispered in his ear before walking off. How had gannet stooped that low? Orion knew it was an accident but it just seemed impossible for gannet to do anything like that. Orion would never, ever talk about gannet's father. Or would he? If he just let himself be lead by his instinct, he did it just now! He tried to drown Gannet! He just looked down at his hands, wondering what he had done. He stood up and walked over to where they were camping. Gannet and Daisy were talking when he walked over. He could see the marks on Gannet's neck, and they all went silent when he sat down. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't of stooped that low. It was an accident and I don't know what I can do to make it better." Gannet said sincerely. "I'm so sorry." Orion whispered as he hugged Gannet. "We're probably never going to get sponsors now." Gannet laughed. "Don't worry I wasn't going to get sponsors anyway. Blight is funneling it all to Orchid." Orion said. Just then Orion was hit on the head by a box. He realised it was a sponsor's donation. Gannet picked it up and opened it. "Oh thank god!" Gannet said showing Daisy and Orion the contents of the box. There were 12 green pastry looking things in it. "These are seaweed rolls! They're these really salty but delicious bread rolls from district 4, and they taste really good. Try one!" Gannet said handing both of us seaweed rolls. Orion took one bite and realised how much he had been craving salt. It was salty but fluffy. "This is really good." Daisy mumbled through her second roll. They all had 3 saving their last ones for later. They just chilled completely forgetting that if there wasn't blood soon there would be.