Chapter 11

The next morning each of them took 2 sips of water from the bottles and ate a stick of jerky each.  They had decided to ration their water and food as much as possible. They continued to walk as they needed to keep moving. "So Daisy I was wondering what your district token is?" Orion asked as he walked next to her. "My token is this ring. There's a funny story about this ring actually you see one day my mom was washing dishes when her wedding ring slipped off and fell into the sink. And then 2 years later we found it inside of a pumpkin! This ring must of had quite a journey to reach there but I'll rest well knowing that this ring will have many more adventures even after I pass away." She said looking like she was on the verge of tears but keeping it together so she didn't seem weak. They walked for many more hours until they heard something. Crying? They saw a girl on her knees crying, she was so dehydrated though that barely a drop came out. She looked at them with fear as she keeled over. Gannet ran to her without a second thought using his newly healed arm to support her head. "Her pulse is weakening!" Gannet said holding his finger under her jaw. "There's nothing we can do now." Orion said as gannet squeezed her hand. "Hey what's your name?" Gannet asked trying to comfort her as she passed. "Irene, from district 3." She whispered in a rhaspy voice. Orion felt a pang of guilt for killing that boy from 3 without a second thought. "It's going to be ok Irene." Gannet lied as she drifted off and died. A cannon was shot in the distance and Orion saw the hovercraft on the horizon. They stepped back as Irene was collected and flown off. They decided to take a break there, all of them resting their backs on Daisy's camel. "Are you going to name your camel Daisy or what?" Orion asked. "We don't really name animals in 10 we just kill them. I'm going to name him Daffodil." She replied making Orion giggle at the girly name. Orion swore he could see an unimpressed look on Daffodil's face. They continued to walk afterwards and found an oasis! But their were 4 other people standing around the same distance as them from it. Orion knew what was going to happen as he saw the girl from 12 get a kunai thrown into her skull, making her drop dead. Orion looked at the girl from 11 with a pouch of what looked like 6 or 7 kunai. He threw a knife into her heart and that's when it truly escalated. The 2 other people were the boy from 5 and the girl from 9. The boy from 5 ran towards the Oasis and took a drink obviously being too thirsty to care. That's when it got him. A giant monster crawled out of the lake and ate him in 1 bite. It had hideous sea foam green skin and sharp teeth which curled backwards slightly. It had leathery wings and a a tail with a thagamizer. (Search it up). It had webbed toes and sleek, smooth skin and eyes on the top of it's head like a crocodile. It made a guttural roar and the girl from 9 stabbed it with a pike. It bled out and wailed before eating her as well. It's eyes set on the group of 4. Everyone started running and Daisy got on Daffodil. They ran much faster then it could but then it extended it's leathery wings and with one flap propelled it's body off the sand causing a sand cloud. It's putrid smelling blood fell and leaked onto the sand staining it a blue tint as it flew towards them at great speed then Daisy threw a spear right into it's eye causing it to fall to the ground. It ran at them for a few seconds before collapsing and then going silent. "I didn't think that would work!" Daisy laughed as she got off Daffodil. They walked to it and could tell it had poisonous meat from the colour of it's blood. They walked to the oasis and took a drink before starting to rest. They felt happy with their victory over the beast. "How about we share songs from our districts? To lighten the mood." Daisy said before hearing a cannon shot. They looked behind them and saw the boy from 8 lying on the floor next the carcass with a scrap of meat in his hand. "I told you it was poisonous." Orion shrugged as the hover craft collected him. That boy might of stolen supplies from them in the middle of the night if the beast's poison hadn't killed him. They heard the anthem of Panem and they looked up. They saw the faces of: Irene, the boy from 5, the girl from 9, the girl from 11 and the girl from 12, 13 remained. "I'll start it off." Daisy said confidently before starting to sing 'cotton eye joe' which was apparently very popular in 10. (Listen to it if you haven't) she even tried to teach Gannet the moves and he failed pretty badly but got some of it. It was soon Gannet's turn to sing. He sung 'sea shanty' which was commonly sung while far away from the shore on fishing boats but it also had dance moves. (Listen to it if you haven't) He taught them to Daisy and she nailed it which kind of embarrassed gannet. They continued to dance together and Orion could feel something about it which wasn't right. "Ok Orion it's your turn." Gannet accused pointing at Orion. "Nope I am not singing, I actually have a terrible singing voice." Orion lied. "Oh come on I've heard you sing before while you strolled to the fence, you can sing really well." Gannet said. "Ughh fine I'll sing." Orion grumbled as he stood up. He sung 'disobedient' (go listen to it if you haven't) which was a song lumberjacks sung when they felt unfairly treated. Which they thought was all of the time. The dance moves were often free style so they all had fun with it. As he sung he thought about how the Capitol was probably not showing them. He didn't even need his music box to fall asleep despite what he had seen, the cold and the looming threat of the careers finding them.