A little good advice

Let's continue on with Shawna!

I ran away from home at six AM on a Saturday. I made sure to have everything packed up and ready to go by that time. I had a plan: I would take a bus and go as far away from Arbordale and Kansas as I could. It was a good plan! I packed everything I needed: my toothbrush, some clothes, and my wallet. I also packed a sandwich in case I got hungry. My wallet had fifty dollars total, since I'd been saving up my allowance for a while.

It was eight AM by the time I reached the bus station. I looked at the bus schedule to check which bus would be going farthest. I found a bus going to Wilmington, Delaware, and it seemed that was the farthest a bus going out of this station would go. It'd cost... TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS!? I didn't have that money! I looked for something cheaper; at my price range, I could go as far as Topeka for twenty bucks. Shoot...

"Excuse me," said a totally buff woman who was standing behind me. "I just wanna check the bus schedule; would you kindly?"

"Sorry," I said, stepping aside so she could check the schedule.

"Mmhmmm," she said, tapping the 9 AM bus departure. "Wilmington, here I come."

"Bus rides are really expensive," I said to her. "But the one to school is free."

"Sure is," she said as she leaned against the wall. "Where you headed?"

"I don't know," I said, sighing. "Far away?"

"Why?" She asked as she crossed her arms.

"I'm leaving home for good," I bitterly said; I know I shouldn't talk to strangers, but I'm almost fifteen. I'm a grown-up, and I can take care of myself.

"Why?" She asked.

"Reasons," I replied, scowling, turning away. That's when she left. Ten minutes later, she was back, a ticket in hand.

"Running away, huh?" She said. "I did the exact same thing when I was your age, maybe a little older."

"Really?" I asked, feeling curious. "Why?"

"Tell me your reasons," she grinned. "I'll tell you mine."

"You first," I demanded.

"Fair," she shrugged, smiling. "Well, when I was about fourteen or so, I figured out I was gay. When I finally had the courage to come out to Mom, she... got mean about it."

"What?" I asked, shocked. "But that's not right!"

"It was a different time," she said, looking a bit sad, then smiling again. "Add to that the fact that my father had removed himself from the picture a few years prior, and, well, that did a number on me."

"Oh my God..." was all I could say.

"Yeah," she said, frowning. "I was convinced Mom hated me, so I packed my stuff and ran away from home. I spent about a week on the streets, diving dumpsters for food and clothing. One day a cop found me and took me home. Turned out my mom was worried sick about me, and had been looking for me the whole time."

"Then what happened?" I asked.

"Mom apologized for how she behaved," she explained. "And told me she'd rather have a gay daughter, than no daughter. We kinda patched up after that, but it wasn't ever the same."

"Duh, homophobia sucks," I said, nodding.

"Mom died four years later," she said, her tears getting misty. "So... I'd rather have a homophobic mom who barely tolerated me, than no mom at all."

That's... wow...

"I do believe it's your turn," she said. I took a deep breath.

"Mom and Dad are fighting," I said, hating having to say it out loud. "Mom's gone from home, and it feels awful."

"Go on," she said.

"I feel like it's my fault," I said, tears in my eyes. I explained to her how my parents had me young, got married, and how they're currently separated.

"Kid, trust me on this," she said as she placed a hand on my shoulder. "You don't want to run away from home. The world is tough out there, and I promise you, you'll be dreaming of your warm bed two hours into your first night. Call them, tell them you're here. Don't make them worry."

"Will they even want me back?" I asked, drying my tears.

"You bet they would," she said, rubbing my shoulder. "If they're half the parents you deserve, they must be going crazy by now."

"I doubt it."

"I don't," she said. "Trust me on this; I've got ten bucks that says your parents will speed right over once they know you're here."

"We'll see," I said. "I'm Shawna, you?"

"Angela," she said, smiling. "Now I gotta grab my bus; take care, OK?"

"I will," I said, waving her goodbye. As soon as she got on the bus, I made my way to the security office and asked to call home...

Half an hour later...

The family car came screeching into the parking zone and Mom rushed out of the passenger seat, running towards me.

"Mom?" I called out to her; it had been the first time I had seen her since she was kicked out. But as soon as she reached me, she slapped me across the face!

"WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING!?" Mom yelled at me, tears in her eyes. "Do you have any idea how TERRIFIED I was to hear you had run away!?"

"What?" I was surprised to see her care so much. That's when I saw Dad come out of the car. He looked REAL mad.

"There you are!" He yelled out. "If your mother hadn't smacked you, I woulda done so myself!"

"Why would you run away!?" Mom asked, her face wet with tears. She must have been crying for a while.

"Because," I began. May as well tell her. "Home doesn't feel like home anymore."

"What?" Mom asked; she and Dad looked shocked to hear that.

"You and Dad are not together anymore," I said, and I felt the tears come in. "You left, Mom. And then Dad started working way more, and he never leaves his laptop, and he's always angry. And... I know it's my fault... cuz you two only got married cuz of being pregnant with me... I know you two don't love each other. I'm sorry, I didn't-"

But Mom just hugged me tightly, stroking my hair. I looked at Dad, and he looked really ashamed of himself. I think he didn't like hearing all that from me.

"Let's go home," he said. "ALL of us."