Chapter One: My Deep Condolences

The servant picks up a bouquet and checks the card to see what it was for, congratulations or condolences for the wedding or death of Joe Bernard, a Noble who was known for his rather extensive list of affairs which he was never ashamed of hiding. The servant sees that it says congratulations and throws it into a bag which he advised to be thrown in the trash along with the others. He again picks up a bouquet and reads the card only this time it says condolences. Fresh. The servant advises the bouquet to be taken to Lady Bernard in the great room. The man picks it up and upholds it and starts to walk through a hall filled with pictures of the ancestors of Joe Bernard. At the end of the hallway is a double door outside of which there are a number of people waiting to be led inside to grieve the death of the Noble and pass their condolences to his widow. The man slips past the people and walks inside the room seeing the young widow grieving alongside an old friend of the Noble. The woman advises the servant not to let anyone in as the lady is unable to see anyone in this condition. The man nods and walks outside the room, leading everyone along with him to the front gardens of the chateau where the wedding was held.

As soon as the servant leaves, the young girl in the white dress throws away the handkerchief she was using to wipe her tears and walks up to the window to see the situation outside. She suddenly pulls forward the curtains and sits back where she was previously sitting. The woman across from her was a middle aged woman who was dressed in a red gown, a colour worn on weddings to symbolize that the person wearing it had slept with the groom and indeed they had. She places down the cup of tea after taking a sip from it.

"Wearing red was a bold choice."

"Hiring someone to kill my cheating ex-husband was an even bolder move but I guess we're talking about the dress."

"Of course we are. Bitch was a show stopper. I thought you were going to slap me when you came up to me."

"Oh my dear, don't you know? A lady shall never raise her hand on someone."

"Even if that person just cost the lady her marriage?"

"Leaving him was my own choice, dear."

"And what about killing him?"

"Killing him was your choice. I just asked you and you did it without asking any further questions. Professional."

"Thank you m'lady. That's the second time someone has called me professional at what I do."

"Why? You're so good at what you do."

"Most people have doubts about tampering with death like that. Most of the time they go back on their words and ask me not to kill the guy but I can't do that, can I?"

"Wouldn't that be against the contract?"

"The contract does say that I have to follow the wishes of my clients but it never said that I can't force them to change their wishes."

"Would you have done that to me?"

"Humans may call themselves advanced but they're the most predictable when it comes to their emotions."

"Even then you have to be cautious, don't you?"

"Of course. How would I be professional otherwise?"

Suddenly the doors burst open and two men in black suits run in with guns and point it at the young widow ready to shoot but they stand back as they see the widow holding a gun to the lady's head. The woman laughs and orders the men to drop their guns and walk away from them. She writes a cheque and places it onto the table all while being held at gunpoint by the widow.

"Smart, I shall give you that."

"You're the one who called me professional. I'm sure you expected this much."