Chapter Four: The Rich Will Get Their Way

Charlotte walks towards the meeting room and on her way she sees several guards lining the hallway. She swore that she wouldn't take on a high profile case again but alas she'll have to. Charlotte pumped herself up before opening the door to the meeting room. Inside the room was a beautiful woman in a short white dress sitting with her legs crossed and arms on her purse placed on her lap. She was the epitome of class and wealth. Opposite to her was Matthew who gestured for Charlotte to sit alongside him. Charlotte went on over to Matthew and pulled out a chair to sit but her eyes couldn't get off of the woman sitting in the room.

"Ms. Charlotte, Ms. Kara James."

Charlotte nods and so does Kara.

"There's no need for formalities. You can call me Kara."

"Then, you can call me Charlotte."

"I'm comfortable with Mr. Matthew."

Charlotte looked a towards Matthew who started shuffling some papers placed in front of him. After some brief shuffling, he wifts out a piece of paper which he places before Kara. Kara smiles politely and looks through it. Charlotte kept staring at her. Kara was the total opposite of what Charlotte had expected. She screamed old money and her manners and politeness were crossing the roof. She was so famished by her looks that eventually Matthew pointed out and asked Charlotte to quit staring or she'll get uncomfortable. Charlotte looked down but her gaze went towards Kara over and over again. Kara was what Charlotte had always wanted to be. A young bachelorette who was famous in her world. A woman who has built her reputation, maybe not on her own or with clean resources, but nonetheless, she had. At least she wasn't popular for killing people.

After a brief while, Kara put down the paper having thoroughly read it and placed her hands again on her purse.

"Is this conversation being recorded?"

"No, ma'am. We only start recording conversations after we've signed the contract, so the client doesn't have to feel obligated to sign the contract."

Matthew was swift to answer as if he had been expecting it. Kara smiled and looked towards Charlotte.

"May I ask, what made you come into this profession?"

"I believe there's not a solid reason that makes us obligated to disclose this information."

Charlotte never really told anyone why she became a serial killer. Not even Claire. To the obvious eye it may be related towards her trauma which she might've received after getting cheated on or after growing up in an abusive household where his father had cheated on her mother. Matthew respected Charlotte's decision on not disclosing that information. He did want her to get closure by sharing her despair, but he just didn't have a close enough relationship with her which he was planning on changing.

"You don't have to give me any money.*

Kara asked Matthew that she didn't need any of Colton's money, she just needed him to pay for his crimes, which being the Chief of Police, he'll never be able to do. Matthew agreed with her and asked his apprentice to add that information in the contract. After his apprentice left the room, Kara asked the question she was longing to ask.

"Does your apprentice know about the whole killing thing too?"

"My apprentice, yes. He's actually my little brother."

Kara smiled and nodded again. After the renewed contract came back, Matthew handed it to Kara for her to sign it. Before she signed, Charlotte asked what they would do with his money and Kara said to either not take it or donate it to charity. It'll be her money. She can do what she wants with it. Charlotte nodded and looked towards Matthew and he mouthed that he would handle it later on, just agree with it for now. Charlotte nodded and looked towards Kara as she signed both copies of the contract. Matthew took one of them and Kara handed the other one to one of her guards present beside her in the room. Kara then stood up and shook both Matthew's and Charlotte's hands before leaving along with her plethora of security. Don't know who she's protecting herself from but hey, she was entering a building expecting to meet a professional serial killer, no one can blame her for having a whole army for her protection.

A Serial Killer's Guide to Finding a Dead Husband जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें