01. A bland day

【 ➳ ∞ ↞ 】

【 ➳ ∞ ↞ 】

      "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!"

      A hand slammed down on a rectangular, black alarm clock, and a groan emanated around the messy bedroom. Up sat a messy-haired, sleepy Avery Gilbert, looking around blankly as she slowly began to wake up mentally. Her hazel green eyes wavered at the alarm clock that read 6:30 a.m., a perfect time to get ready and go to her first class at 11 o'clock; she would also run into her little siblings, whom she didn't care to see. She knew she couldn't keep blaming Elena and leave her and Aunt Jenna to care for Jeremy's rebellious stage, but she just couldn't. She didn't know what was wrong with her, so she was going into psychology for her health.

      Avery swung her feet over to land on her relatively soft carpeted floor and stood up to shuffle through the dirty clothes and various papers littering her once-clean room. Becoming a depressed college student with a steady working environment can be challenging to work through, so there was never time to clean. She fought through her piles of clothes and picked out a somewhat oversized hoodie and jeans with holes for her knees to poke through, taking it all to her bathroom.

      Avery was thankful to have been given a room with a walk-in closet and an attached bathroom, almost as if she had the main bedroom, but this room was nothing like the actual master. Just thinking about that bedroom that once belonged to her long-gone parents made her shake her head and quickly slip into a shower. She still had the energy to care for her body and hid all the imperfections on her skin with makeup.

      After using her shampoo, conditioner, and rose-scented body soap, she washed it off, stepped out to dry her body and hair, and slipped on her clothes. She put on her skincare and then applied makeup to any imperfections along her skin before blow-drying her hair carefully. She could already hear Jeremy and Elena waking up or moving around by the time she was done. She took the time to go to the wax melter on her nightstand and switched the melted wax in it for a pumpkin-smelling wax melt to hide the smell of body odor.

      Avery looked over her messy room once before stepping out and closing the door behind her. She passed Elena's open door to see her still getting ready and slumped down the stairs. She made a bypass for the kitchen, where she began to brew some coffee for everyone and then grabbed a carton of yogurt and slouched by the coffee maker, listening to the sound of running footsteps upstairs. Not too long after, Aunt Jenna came rushing in with her things and set them all on the counter to assemble them.

      "Good morning, Aunt Jenna," Avery mumbled as she poured the stressed adult some coffee.

      "Oh, good morning, Avery!" Jenna said in shock, not expecting the girl to be awake.

      "Sleep in?" Avery smirked, passing Jenna her cup of coffee before pouring herself some coffee.

      "Yes...God, I'm not prepared for this- thank you! Do you need a ride to Whitmore?" Jenna rambled.