02. A Break

【 ➳ ∞ ↞ 】

【 ➳ ∞ ↞ 】

      "Shit! Shitshitshitshit!"

      Avery came running down the stairs, swerving her body around the bottom post of the staircase for the kitchen where Aunt Jenna sat typing at her laptop.

      "Woah, easy there, tiger." Jenna jumped as Avery swung the fridge door open.

      "I'M LATE! My alarm clock didn't go off. SHIT! My professors are going to kill me." Avery stressed, squatting down for any sign of nutrients for the road.

      "No, they won't, Avery. Calm down." Jenna stood up, approaching her niece.

      "You don't understand, Aunt Jenna! I have to keep my grades afloat! My attendance! Mom and Dad would kill me if I missed a day." Avery whined.

      "Avery, Avery. Calm down. You don't have to go to school. Or work. I took your laptop and phone last night and emailed your professors about you needing time off and then called you in for work." Aunt Jenna placed her hands on Avery's shoulders.

      "What? You, you did that? For me?..." Avery froze up, staring at her Aunt Jenna.

      Jenna nodded with a gentle smile, watching Avery's eyes glaze over with tears. Her smile grew sad before she brought the young adult into her arms, rubbing her back.

      "You deserve a break, Avery. Your parents may have wanted you to have the perfect school life, but they would've also wanted you to relax and not overwork yourself every day." Jenna whispered.

      Avery didn't know why, but those words brought Avery to a quivering, teary mess. She didn't sob, nor did she fall to her knees. She just began to silently cry into her Aunt's shoulder while her body trembled.

      "Thank you..." Avery whispered.

      "Of course. Now, rest. Today is a day off day." Jenna smiled.

      Avery snorted and nodded, stepping back to wipe away her tears. She sighed and looked down in relief, finding she looked like a mess. Her shoes were on the wrong feet, her socks were mismatched, her jeans were ruffled, and her shirt was stained.

      "Also, you smell. Go clean up." Jenna ordered, patting her shoulder.

      Avery snorted and nodded, heading back upstairs as Jenna returned to her work on her laptop. Avery entered her room and immediately removed her messy clothing to enter her bathroom for a shower. In that shower, she did things for herself by shaving her body, exfoliating her skin, putting the treatment in her hair, and the rest. By the end of her shower, she felt refreshed enough to put oils on her skin and hair.

      A towel was wrapped around her body and another on her head when Avery returned to her messy room. She sighed at the smell of the room and all the clothes, wrappers, leftovers, boxes, and other trash all over her room.