Chapter 1: A New Chapter Begins

The night was alive with celebration as Nat reveled in the success of his first novel. Laughter, clinking glasses, and heartfelt congratulations filled the air. Among his friends were Yim, a versatile singer and actor, and James, an enthusiastic photographer.

Yim, with a glint of curiosity in his eyes, leaned in towards Nat, "So, Nat, what's the plan for your next masterpiece?"

Nat, a contemplative expression on his face, replied, "I'm still figuring that out."

Interrupting the work-oriented discussion, James chimed in, "No shop talk tonight, folks! Let's just revel in this moment!"

As the night unfolded, Nat found himself walking home, the city's lights painting reflections on the pavement. Amid the urban hum, his thoughts lingered on the waiter he had observed during the celebration – a weary smile, eyes betraying exhaustion. That chance encounter became a seed planted in Nat's mind.

The next morning, Nat sat at his table with a cup of coffee, contemplating the direction of his next narrative. The decision crystallized – his protagonist would be a waiter, a character drawn from the subtleties of service and the hidden stories behind it.

Driven by this newfound inspiration, Nat turned to the internet, searching for waiter positions near his apartment. However, his quest proved challenging; the opportunities were scarce.

Frustration mingled with determination as Nat decided to seek help from Yim, who had connections in various creative realms. Dialing Yim's number, he waited with bated breath.

Nat: "Hey, Yim. You know, I've decided my next novel's protagonist is going to be a waiter. I thought, you being in the entertainment scene, you might know someone or have a suggestion for me."

Yim, on the other end, responded, "Waiter, huh? Interesting choice, Nat. Let me see what I can do. I know a few places and people. I'll get back to you soon."

The call ended with a promise, leaving Nat both anxious and hopeful. The afternoon brought a call from Yim, the excitement evident in his voice.

Yim: "Nat, good news! I've got a lead for you. There's a restaurant nearby looking for someone. I'll send you the details. Good luck!"

Gratitude and relief washed over Nat as he profusely thanked Yim. The pieces were falling into place. That evening, Nat prepared himself for a potential journey into the world of waiters.

Walking towards the restaurant Yim had recommended, Nat felt a mix of anticipation and nervous energy. As he entered, the manager, a stern but welcoming figure, approached.

Manager: "You must be Nat. Yim spoke highly of you. When do you want to start?"

Nat, taken aback by the directness, stammered, "Start? Well, can I just observe for today? I want to understand the environment before diving in."

The manager, after a brief pause, agreed, "Fine, but if you're serious about this, you'll need a uniform. Get changed, and let's see how things go."

Nat, now in uniform with a name tag that read 'Nat – Observer,' immersed himself in the ebb and flow of the restaurant. He watched the waitstaff with newfound appreciation, observing their interactions, challenges, and the unspoken stories behind their actions.

His mind, like a canvas, began to paint the beginning of his next novel. Characters and narratives unfolded with each passing moment. Nat realized that this journey, inspired by a chance encounter and propelled by a friend's assistance, held the promise of a story waiting to be told.

As the night at the restaurant progressed, Nat's observations transformed into a symphony of words and emotions. The clattering of dishes, the laughter of patrons, and the camaraderie among the staff became the notes that composed the melody of his unwritten tale.

The clock ticked away, marking the end of Nat's first day as an observer. With a heart brimming with experiences, he left the restaurant, the city lights guiding him home. The waiter, now a character in his mind, had become the catalyst for a narrative that awaited its unfolding.