Chapter 13: An Unexpected Turn

Nat's phone rang, and he saw Grace's name on the screen, signaling an unexpected interruption to his tranquil Monday afternoon.

"Hey, Grace. What's going on?"

Grace's voice carried a professional tone as she said, "Hi, Nat. The boss would like to meet you this afternoon to discuss your novel. How about a cafe at 3 PM?"

Nat, pleasantly surprised by the change in location, replied, "A cafe sounds great. Which one, and what time?"

Grace: "Perfect! How about 'Sip & Savor' on Oak Street? 3 PM works for you, right?"

Nat, appreciating the more relaxed setting, confirmed, "Absolutely. I'll be there."

With the call ended, Nat felt a sense of anticipation mingled with curiosity. The change in venue added an element of informality to the meeting.

***
The bell above the cafe door jingled softly as Nat entered, scanning the cozy interior for Grace and the mystery man. Spotting them by the window, he quickened his pace, but as he reached their table, a wave of shock washed over him. The man with Grace was none other than Max, his expression serious and focused.

Nat, his heart pounding, struggled to maintain composure. Without uttering a word, he turned abruptly and made a beeline for the bathroom, the door swinging shut behind him.

Inside, Nat leaned against the sink, taking deep breaths to calm the swirl of emotions. What was Max doing here? Was this about the novel, or was there something else on Max's mind?

Meanwhile, Grace approached Max at the table, concern etched on her face.

Grace: "I'm so sorry, Sir. I didn't expect him to react like that."

Max, still focused on the bathroom door, sighed.

Max: "It's fine, Grace. I didn't anticipate his reaction. Let me know when he's ready to talk."

As Grace nodded and headed towards the bathroom, Nat seized the opportunity to make a quick escape. When Grace knocked on the door, he called out, his voice strained.

Nat: "Grace, I'm not feeling well. I think I've got a bad case of diarrhea. I'm going to need to head home. Can you let him know? I'll talk to him another time."

Grace, with genuine concern, replied, "Of course, Nat. Take care of yourself. I'll explain it."

Feeling a mix of relief and regret, Nat swiftly exited the cafe, leaving behind unanswered questions and a palpable tension.

***
Lying on his bed, Nat felt a knot of discomfort in his stomach, both physical and emotional. The unexpected encounter with Max at the cafe had taken an unexpected turn, leaving Nat in a state of consternation.

Nat: "What a mess. Max as my publisher, and he probably read my draft. Is he angry? I don't know how to face him, especially if he's really upset."

The weight of uncertainty bore down on Nat as he replayed the encounter in his mind. The fear of disappointing Max, added to the complexity of his emotions.

Nat, muttering to himself: "Why did I run? I should have stayed and faced the conversation. Now, I've made everything more complicated."

As Nat grappled with his thoughts, the realization dawned that serious discussions were not his forte. He had always navigated life with a touch of humor and lightness, and the prospect of a potentially tense conversation with Max left him feeling out of his element.

Nat: "I need to find a way to talk to Max. Maybe I should apologize. Or maybe I should just wait for him to reach out."

The uncertainty lingered, creating a sense of restlessness. Nat stared at his phone, contemplating whether he should send a message to Max or let the situation unfold on its own. The draft of his novel, once a source of pride, now felt like a delicate bridge that could either strengthen or strain their budding connection.