Chapter One

HILLARY

Everyone loves their birthday, I mean what's not to like, it's the one day of the year that is all about you. It's a day where you are celebrated by family and friends, you get a cake, presents and if you've been really good, you get one wish.

Or is that Christmas?

Point is, you get to make a wish and if your karma is balanced and you are good with the universe it might just come true.

But there is always an exception to the rule and that is where I come in. I have nothing against birthdays, I just don't believe in them. To me the day I was born is just like any other day of the year. There is nothing special about it except for the fact that my mother was in labor for twenty three hours. Honestly if someone should be celebrated, it's that superwoman but unfortunately that won't be happening this year.

That is why in her memory and to conform to societies expectations I decided to get myself a very thoughtful gift this year.

"Yes, right there please. Be careful with that." I request the young man who is currently helping me with my most recent purchase.

"How far back do you want it?" He asks his head popping out the open car window so he can see where he is going.

"Right there is perfect." I answer with a satisfied look on my face.

"You sure?"

I nod with a satisfied look on my face. "Yes."

He gives me a thumbs up and gets out of his truck to disconnect the tow rig.

"All done." He declares a few minutes later.

"Thank you so much."

"My pleasure ma'am. Your husband will enjoy working on this." He compliments, pure admiration written all over his face as we stand side by side gazing at my new acquisition.

"No husband, just me." I correct him.

He gives me a weird look that doesn't even surprise me. Of course he would assume that I've made this purchase for a special man in my life but there is no one like that.

Not for a very long time.

"Good luck with that." He comments a bit condescendingly.

"Thank you." I smile at him refusing to let his backward thinking that some things are just meant for men put me down.

I have been looking forward to this day for months and now that it is here not even this caveman will deter my happiness. He is probably wondering why a woman like me, a black woman on top of that would acquire something like this. Well this queen is doing it for herself and her late mom and I am very excited for the journey.

"Okay then, if you would please sign this then I will get out of your hair." He says giving me a clipboard with a confirmation of delivery sheet on it.

I sign on the dotted line and he is gone a moment later no doubt laughing at me the whole time but I do not care.

As soon as I am all alone, I close the garage door so it's now just me and my new baby. I put on my coveralls and use my creeper to get under her to assess the damage.

Unfortunately for me, what I thought would be some well-deserved alone time is interrupted by my best friend yelling my name from inside the house.

"Hillary?" She screams loud enough to wake the dead.

"In the garage." I shout in return.

The connecting door to the garage opens and I see her feet appear from the position I am in.