Chapter Three

HILLARY

The human body has puzzled many a scientists over the centuries. Till date, despite all our medical advancements, there's still a lot we are learning about our own anatomy. Like for example how I am still alive after what I put my kidneys through yesterday.

So much for a fun birthday.

I lie in bed for a while, trying to gather my bearings while feeling like complete shit. My mouth tastes like mothballs, I'm aching all over, not to mention my brain feels like it wants to burst through my skull. I am dizzy even though I am lying down which makes no sense at all. It hurts to think so I don't even bother trying to remember the details of what happened to me yesterday after Amelia came over with what I have now decided to call poison.

When I realize that lying down isn't making me feel better I force myself to get out of bed, fighting through the nausea and dizziness. It works long enough to get me to the bathroom where I proceed to puke my guts out leaving me feeling even worse.

Getting up from the floor after throwing up for about ten minutes is a whole other task in itself but I manage. I am too sick for a shower so instead I wash my face and brush my teeth. My toothbrush makes me gag and taste of the toothpaste makes me throw up again but this time I do not make it to the toilet and instead do it right here in the sink.

"Fuck." I cuss out when I see my reflection in the mirror.

I look like death itself.

In a desperate attempt to cure my headache I search my medicine cabinet for Advil but there is none which puts me in an even fouler mood. But then I recall that I have some in the kitchen so I hustle my way there through my messy bedroom that looks like a tornado blew through it.

I hear tinkering in there on my way down the stairs and I walk in to find Amelia busy as a bee on my stove slaving away.

"Good afternoon bestie." She greets without even turning her back to face me.

"Afternoon?" I croak out not realizing it is so late in the day.

I try to check the time on the oven but my eyesight is still blurry so I am unable to make out the numbers.

"Yes, it's a little bit after noon. How are you feeling?" Amelia asks.

I groan in complain and slide onto a stool laying my head on the cool granite counter top. It helps soothe my pain for a moment but then it warms up from my body heat and the pain is back in full throttle.

"Lousy, like I slept in a winery at the bottom of a barrel that I drunk myself through."

Amelia giggles as if that is the most amusing thing when this is all her fault. "Well you did consume every single drop of alcohol I brought you yesterday plus everything else you already had in the house."

"I knew you were trying to kill me." I scold her.

"I'm sorry, I didn't think that gift basket through but I made you the perfect hangover cure." She says sliding a fully laden breakfast plate my way, a champagne flute and two pills.

"Please tell me this is a mimosa?" I plead.

"Nothing better than a little hair of the dog for your ails." She answers with a nod.

I smile gratefully as I wash the pills down with the mimosa. "Thank you. Did you sleep here?"

She's dressed in my clothes which is not rare as she is always stealing them but I remember her wearing something completely different yesterday. "Yes, I couldn't as well have left you all alone, you were wasted."