Chapter Two

JERICHO

As kids we were all asked the same question, what do you want to be when you grow up?

The answers were endless ranging from wanting to be an Astronaut who explores outer space to a deep sea diver who maps out our oceans floors and explores the world beneath the surface.

Our dreams as kids were infinite but as we grew up and reality caught up, our answers changed, he who wanted to become a neurosurgeon ended up being a janitor in a hospital and the police officer became being a mall security guard.

Not to say that dreams don't come true but different circumstances lead us to change the trajectory of our lives both from our own doings and sometimes being dealt a bad hand by the universe.

As for me my answer has always been the same and I am lucky enough that I got to grow up and become what I always dreamed of. It's not been an easy journey, not by a long shot considering who I was growing up but I got a second chance in life and vowed to not waste it. So now I spend my days doing what I'm best at; saving lives.

"Lamar, Cortez, status?" Captain Raith's voice crackles over the radio.

"Clearing the second floor now cap." I answer.

"Better hustle, IC says possible flashover imminent." He warns.

"Yes sir."

I look at Cortez who knows what that means as we move onto the next apartment. It's the last one on this floor and as is expected the door is locked.

"Step aside." Cortez yells over the roaring flames.

I do as he asks and watches as he forces the door open with the head of his axe. We step aside just in time for a gust of wind to push a raging series of flames out.

"Ready?" I ask turning to Cortez.

"Always." He grins at me giving me a fist bump just before we charge into the house whose roof is moments away from collapsing.

"Neighbors say only one resident in this house, a woman." Cortez says as we begin yelling out for her.

"Ma'am?!" We call out with no response.

"Ma'am this is Fire and Rescue, call out if you can hear us." I yell over the noise.

"Check the bathroom." Cortez yells at me as he rushes to the bedroom.

The bathroom door is locked which is a good sign so I use my shoulder to break it open. There are wet towels lined up on the floor meaning someone was trying to keep the flames and smoke out.

"Cortez I found her." I inform my partner over the radio when I see the lady we are looking for collapsed in a ball at the furthest corner of the bathroom.

"Ma'am can you hear me? We are firefighters here to rescue you." I inform her lifting her head up.

She sluggishly opens her eyes which lets me know that she is still alive. "You came?"

"Yes ma'am and we are going to get you out of here." I reply picking her up just in time for Cortez to rush in.

"We have to go. Now!" He yells adamantly meaning we are running on borrowed time.

"Way ahead of you." I reply but before we can hustle out of the bathroom the lady stops us.

"Please my babies." She coughs her eyes rolling to the back of her head as she struggles to stay conscious.

Cortez and I look at each other confused because there was no mention of her having kids.

"Ma'am you have children?" I ask her.