Chapter Four

JERICHO

It is not in my nature to ask out women I meet in fertility clinics, it's not in my nature to ask women out at all.

Most of my extracurricular activities, if you know what I mean are usually one night stands I pick up at the bar or if I am really lucky at the coffee shop. I have never been a relationship kind of guy, never will be and that is by choice. The one time I tried, it blew up in my face and that is why I have never been one to date long term.

So me asking Hillary out to dinner is a first for me. I've never actually taken a woman out to dinner before and that is saying a lot for a thirty-four almost thirty-five-year-old man.

I feel really good about it though and I cannot believe that I actually managed to convince this gorgeous goddess to join me for dinner. There's just something about her that attracted me from. The moment we crashed and even if this night doesn't end with us having sex, I will still be glad I managed to ask her out.

"So what is this place?" Hillary asks me after we exit our vehicles outside the spot I picked for our impromptu dinner date.

"You a Boston Native?" I ask her.

"Born and raised, why?"

"I'm just surprised someone who has lived here all her life has never been to Jerry's."

"Go easy on me, I've always been an indoor cat." She defends.

"Why do I doubt that?"

"Better believe it."

"We'll see. After you." I say opening the door for her.

"Thanks."

We walk in and are immediately hit by the smell of the best barbequed wings in town. I've been coming here with Bella ever since we were kids and their food has never disappointed me.

"Wings and beer? Definitely an intriguing dinner date choice." Hillary comments as we find a free table.

"Don't knock it until you've tried it." I say pulling out her seat for her. "Unless you're more of a five star restaurant kind of girl."

"I will keep an open mind and I am an all rounded girl, I slay in heels as well as boots." She replies.

"That's good to know." I smile taking off my jacket.

I drape it on the back of my seat before sitting down across from her.

"You're a firefighter." She randomly comments with awe in her voice.

"Yes, how'd you know? Lemmi guess you saw me in the firefighter calendar this year. Mr. July to the rescue." I grin proudly.

"Tone down on the ego and your t-shirt sold you out." She points of reminding me that I did not go home yet meaning I am still in my work clothes.

I flush in embarrassment at how cocky I've just sounded. So much for trying to impress her. "Oh yeah sorry, I get a little bit..."

"Cocky, conceited, egotistical." She cuts in.

"I was gonna say excited." I chuckle awkwardly.

"Yeah right." She scoffs.

She must think I am a total douche from the way I've been talking to her so it's time to change tactics before I mess everything up. "Yes I am a first responder, ladder 171."

"Well when you are not being so self-absorbed, thank you for your service or is that for just our defense forces." She expresses.

"No, I'll take it." I reply.