Chapter Six

JERICHO

For the first time since I began being sexually active and made the conscious decision that one night stands, casual, only sex relationships were it for me, I'm having a hard time walking away from a woman. Saying goodbye to Hillary after waking up with her in my arms feels more daunting than it should be.

As I drive away from Jerry's parking lot, where we spent an amazing night together in the backseat of her truck, I cannot help but yearn for her. I even tried to convince her to have breakfast with me for crying out loud, that has never happened to me before. Surely the sex couldn't have been that good, I've had good sex before. Oh, who am I kidding? It was better than good, it was great, incredible, mind-blowing and all other adjectives that can be used to describe just how terrific the night with her was.

Maybe the reason leaving Hillary is so hard is because we got to know each other first before the sex actually happened. I opened up to her in ways I haven't done in a long time and it wasn't that hard either. It's like the minute we started talking I wanted her to know everything about me and in return I'd learn all about her. I barely remember my flings names half the time, how ungentlemanly of me, I know, but Hillary is embedded in my mind and body in a way I find worrying.

I am so fucked.

The fact that I am able to get home without any traffic violations from how distracted I am surprises me. My plan to take a shower and sleep till I need to be up for my shift is thwarted when I walk up to my door and find it slightly ajar. My guard immediately goes up as all exhaustion washes off my body in an instant.

Did I get robbed?

There is no evidence of forced entry but that does little to reassure me. As quietly as I can, I let myself in and grab the bat I keep by the door. Everything seems to be in place which makes me think that I am the one who left the door open until I hear noises coming from the kitchen.

They are still here!

Knowing that I need to defend my home I charge into the kitchen, bat raised high, ready to raise hell only for me to come face to face with my sister!

"Jesus Christ Bella, what are you doing here?" I heave lowering the bat.

My body relaxes but I can still feel my heartbeat skyrocketing.

"Stocking up your fridge." She answers turning my attention to the grocery bags on the kitchen countertop. "What were you doing with that?'

I look at the bat that is still held firmly in my hand and lay it against the kitchen wall. "I thought someone had broken in. Since when do you stock up my kitchen?"

"Since always." She mumbles avoiding eye contact with me.

I scoff and walk further into the kitchen. "Really?"

I grab myself a glass and pour myself some water from the tap, draining it in seconds.

"Yes, I always bring you food. Sandra made two lasagnas last night and asked me to bring you one because you never cook. The groceries were my idea because you never have anything in this house that is not in a can." She explains herself.

"You can keep rambling on and digging yourself deeper into the hole of deceit or you can be honest and tell me that you were looking for an excuse to come see me and ask about yesterday." I retort raising an inquisitive eyebrow at her.

"No. You know I'm not that kind of sister but speaking of, how'd it go yesterday?" She asks as if that's the most innocent question in the world.

I laugh at how she expects me to buy into her bullshit. "And there we go, finally the truth."