The Wolf

The past several days at work have been really good. I hadn't expected to actually like it. The beginning was kind of rough, first because of Kimberly, and then because I didn't have any idea of where to start. Once I got a hang of the software and got used to Vincents schedule, things got a lot easier. I don't know how he did all this before, without a secretary. There's so many meetings, time frames, emails, deals to close. Vincent must have had all the time in the world to work.

Speaking of the secretary thing, I decided not to tell Vincent that I knew he created this position just for me. Something about it seemed so... personal. I appreciated it nonetheless, and I am just going to channel that into helping him as much as I could at work. He's been pretty busy for the past week. I've barely seen him outside of his office, and he has definitely not left the office before me, even since the first day I started.

Part of me was glad to have some space so I could actually focus on work. I'm finally excited to go to work and do something that I like. Whenever Vincent is around though... my thoughts get all muddled. My mind starts drifting just as I finish my thought. The dark pools of his eyes that draw me in every time he looks my way. The tall, broad figure that fills out his suits so well. I want to see his cool, pale skin beneath all those clothes.

A faint ding from the elevator wrung all the dirty thoughts from me immediately. My cheeks redden and I get back into my email-writing and try not to look up when Vincent walks past me to his office. He must have just come back from his noon meeting.

"Alora." He greets me.

I did not expect him to. So the first thing I say is ..."Hey!"

God I'm such a cheery idiot. I don't look up to face him but from my periphery, I think I see him pause and smile. I'm about to ramble on about something stupid when he speaks.

"I apologize for being so busy lately, Alora." He turns toward me, looking down at me at my desk. "Having you here has been really helpful. I'm grateful."

He looks so genuine, I meet his eye contact and return his smile. "Of course, I'm glad I could help Vincent-" I freeze, not knowing if I should call him by his first name, "Uh- Mr. Moretti-"

Smiling, he holds his hand up in signal for me to stop, "Vincent is perfect, dear"

I just nod in response. I love his smile, his face, I can't help but admire it at times like these. And him saying he's grateful. Grateful for me? I feel like for what I'm getting paid, I should be fanning him with a leaf and feeding him grapes, instead of what I do on the daily.

He cleared his throat, "Alora, there are a few emails I need you to respond to, then at 1 I have a meeting I'd like you to sit in on." He states before he walks into his office.

I finish up some work on the computer but get nervous when I start preparing for the 1 o'clock meeting. He's never asked me to come to a meeting before. I don't even know what to do. I grab a pen and notepad and Vincent comes out of his office. He was so quiet I barely noticed he was there until I got up from my desk.

We silently walk to the conference room together, It feels so nice to just be walking next to him. Our hands brush and his body almost feels cold to the touch, but ... comforting. My anxiety is still kind of eating at me. As we enter the elevator, he presses the button and brings his hand to the small of my back.

"Alora dear, don't worry." He shoots me a kind look.

I cringe, "Am I really that obvious?"

His deep laugh fills my ears, "You will do great."

The elevator doors open, and we enter
the conference room, and there are six men waiting for us already at long table. I go to sit at one of the chairs near the back but Vincent continues to lead me forward with the hand he has on my back. He walks to the end of the table - where I assume he sits - and pulls up a chair toward his lone seat. He gestures for me to sit and I do. Where I sit right beside him.