Chapter 1

Oregon, Spring 1887

"They really do make a fine couple," Emily Atwater gripped her coffee mug in both hands as the steam rose up against the cold morning air. Anna kept her gaze forward on the rolling hills, not wanting to look at her mother and engage further in the conversation. She wasn't interested in their neighbor's marriage.

The view from their front porch also held a view of the grazing cattle, where her older brother, Justin, atop a horse, was moving them from the backside lot.

"You know, that Daniel, he is eligible. And handsome. You should pay him a visit in town."

Anna's father rode up and hitched his bay horse to the porch rail outside the house.

"Good mornin', my girls," he said and kissed his wife on the forehead. "Isn't it too hot for you out here today, Em? Maybe you should lie down upstairs for a while?" Then her brother rode up.

"I'm hungry! Did you girls make enough food for me?"

"We had a late breakfast, and I thought you had eaten before..."

"I could use some pan bread! Could you fry us up something, please, Sis?"

"When you are done, I think there is some washing to do," said her father, his brow narrowing. His mustache twitched. "You are falling behind on your chores again. You will never make a man happy if you don't shape up. You're already twenty with no marriage prospects on the table; it's a darn shame."

She kept her eyes to the floor, head bowed. "Yes, Daddy."

He turned to his wife, saying, "Emily, it's pretty cold out today. Maybe you should go inside, you know your constitution is not strong."

Anna's chest tightened. This was exactly why she wasn't in any rush to marry any time soon. Her mother didn't help with the horses, or anything, what with her father treating her like a dainty princess.

While her mother rambled on about bachelors and more town gossip, Anna could only think about her younger brother.

"Mama, have you received any letters from Walter?" asked Anna.

"Why, no, honey, not lately," answered her mother.

"I was hoping to go visit him on his new farm soon. But he hasn't sent any word since he left home." Her younger brother, Walter, had left home to marry three months ago. It wasn't that long ago, but it was odd he hadn't written. They had been so close.

"He's probably just busy," said her mother, "Fitting in with his new wife, and figuring everything out. It's a new life! He hasn't got time anymore, like he had when he lived here. Be patient with him."

"That town where his farm is, it's half a day's ride away on horseback. I could go visit him tomorrow."

"Aw, leave him be. I'm sure he's fine. And what's a girl like you going to do alone? It would be improper. Unsafe."

"Mama, you know I want to join him. Help on his farm."

Her mother took another sip of coffee and sighed. "Anna, when are you going to give up on this silly idea of being a ranch hand?" she asked. "I know you grew up on a cattle ranch with brothers, but you got the wrong idea to think you are one of them. We are women! You will marry, and hopefully someday soon. You're twenty and it's time. I think you will calm down then and see that a ranch hand's life is not for a lady. As a rancher's wife, you will elegantly lead from afar. It is not the work of a lady to ride horses and chase cattle all day."

"I can't understand it," said Anna wistfully. "I just feel compelled to that life. The wind in my hair, the freedom to ride, to be helpful with my own two hands, building things."