Chapter 10

They sat together under the shelter of an overhanging rock, an ideal spot for ambushing the rustlers. The small fire crackled as Duke tended it. His nervousness was palpable, stemming perhaps from the anticipation of confronting the rustlers, but also from his concern for Anna's comfort. She had ventured into the woods with him, risking her safety for the herd and the cattle of others. He began to regret involving her. After all, she was a fine woman. He didn't usually pay much mind to such things, given her preference to be like one of the men, but she was indeed not a man.

Observing her fine brown hair and large eyes in the light of the fading sun, he sidled closer to the fire.

The stars twinkled in the sky, and a coyote yelped in the distance. Rhubarb's ears perked up as something rustled in the bushes. A rabbit, startled by Rhubarb's sniffing, bounded across the darkening meadow and disappeared.

Anna took a seat by the fire. "So, tell me about yourself," she prompted.

Duke was taken aback. What did she want to know? "I'm just a simple guy, really. Working out here," he replied.

"What made you become a ranch hand? It seems you've separated yourself from society. Don't you have any interest in the young women in town? You seem about the right age to be married. Not that I'm judging, of course – I'm avoiding it myself!" she said, raising her hands defensively, her cheeks growing visibly redder in the dim campfire light.

Duke hesitated, unsure how much to share. "I was married once," he began. "It didn't work out. She left me for another man. I wasn't a great provider, and her tastes were more expensive than I could afford. I thought all women were like that. I don't want to go through that again, trying to keep up. So, I moved out here where I like the job and don't have to worry about those things."

Anna's expression was hard to read. "Oh," she said finally. "Not all women are demanding like that. It's about expectations, I guess. You shouldn't have to chase after money, especially for frivolous things. It's silly to think you can't marry again because of one bad relationship."

Duke mumbled about the pressure leading him to drink too much.

"Where is she now?" Anna asked.

"In another town, with a man more suited to her," he replied, sighing. "Hope never to see them again."

They sat in silence for a while before Duke asked about her background.

"I'm from a small town, a day's ride from here," Anna began, her cheeks reddening. "We're a ranch family, but I mostly helped with house chores and watched the men work."

"Any experience with cattle rustlers?" Duke inquired.

Anna winced. "Once, when I was fifteen. It was difficult... my brothers barely managed to drive them off," her voice trailed off as she poked at the ground with a stick. Duke sensed there was more to her story but chose not to pry.

"Well, I can help you learn to defend yourself against them," he offered cheerfully. "Before it gets dark, let's do some target practice with the empty bean cans."

Anna smiled, her entire demeanor brightening. "Sure, I'd like that."

"At least these rustlers don't shoot back," he joked.

Her laughter was contagious. Duke hadn't felt this light-hearted in years.

He stood up, retrieving sausages and cans of kidney beans from his packs to roast on the fire. The aroma of dinner lifted their spirits, and soon they were enjoying their well-deserved meal. Duke tossed a sausage to Rhubarb, who eagerly awaited more. They damped down the fire to a faint glow, careful not to alert the rustlers.