Chapter 12

At bedtime, he prepared the bedrolls and a simple canvas tent to protect them from the critters active at night. He purposefully didn't mention that part to her. He did mention the other function, that they would be sleeping in it together, if she didn't mind, where the warmth could collect.

"That's alright. I am pretty chilly," she said, rubbing her arms. She went into the tent first to change into her nightclothes, leaving a fresh shirt and trousers by their boots outside. He opted to stay prepared in his day clothing, changing only his shirt to a fresh one before bed.

"Remember to tap the boots before stepping into them. Don't want any scorpions there," he warned. That, at least, she could control.

Finally, he crawled in beside her, to his side of the tent, and lay atop his bedroll, covering himself with an itchy but thick wool blanket.

He saw her form shivering under the covers, despite the blankets. He was amazed as she came closer, snuggling up for warmth. He wanted to respect her space; sweet and lovely though she was, he would not do anything to make her uncomfortable. He hoped no trouble would come tonight. Then he could focus on building some intimacy, just to see what it would be like to be with a woman. It had been a long time since he had held a woman tenderly. Even in the last year with his wife, he had not felt that. Of course, the first priority was the rustlers. Those cows were like family to him. He cared for them and wanted to see them back safe. Cuddling with a girl was just part of the task. But it was cold out, and he was just doing it for warmth, maybe it was a bonus.

He let his eyes close, feeling the soothing peace after having them open long enough. Sleep came, yet one ear remained open to the surroundings, into a strange half-wake, half-dream state, where the night's sounds were still audible.

The wild barking of Rhubarb woke him from his light slumber, making him jump awake. Anna stirred beside him, sitting up with a start. He guessed it had been a few hours, not long after midnight, as he crawled out of the tent, slipped on his boots, and drew his weapon. He turned to the horizon where Rhubarb faced, still growling and making a ruckus.

"Shhh, girl. It's alright," he cooed, coming over to give her neck a deep rub. She quieted to a low, disheartening whine, still focusing her attention to the east.

Duke could see shadows in the distance, though it was so dark he had no idea how they could be seen. Lighting a torch or the lamp wouldn't do; that would give them away.

Anna crawled out after him and quickly pulled on her clothes.

"We've got to investigate this," said Duke. "Get your pistol ready, we'll mount up and stalk them." Though he spoke confidently, inside he was worried. His throat felt tight. Now he regretted bringing her along. He could only hope this wouldn't turn rough, nor that the men had brought a large group. "Stay behind me. Stay quiet," he warned.

He certainly didn't want to be responsible for putting Anna at risk. His heart sank as the distance grew between them. His beloved cows, they were individuals to him. He bore a certain affection and love for them, and it broke his heart to see them taken, ripped away. It was violating. But he realized his biggest concern was for Anna, not the cattle.