Chapter 9

A week had passed, and Anna noticed a significant improvement in her physique. Her muscles, which ached for the better part of the past week, now carried her through the daily tasks with increasing ease. Her arms had developed a toned and defined look, which she found pleasing.

She enjoyed spending time with Belle's daughters, Jill and Sally, and had agreed to extra pay for helping with house cleaning during her downtime, often alongside Lucy. Although she had time to relax, Anna wasn't quite sure how to unwind at the ranch. Moreover, she relished the conversations with Lucy, learning about her life.

Later that day, Anna decided to teach Lucy how to mount a horse. Lucy, who had a longstanding fear of horses due to a childhood incident nearly resulting in her being trampled, managed to sit atop Juniper with Anna's assistance. It was during this time that Anna inquired about Belle's social life. Lucy's response was nonchalant: "Lots of men come through here."

This revelation about Belle's ranch, combined with learning about cattle ranching from Duke, intrigued Anna. She caught herself thinking about Duke again and mentally chided herself.

Anna was in the back garden when the doorbell rang at the main house. A blonde, tall, and wiry man stepped over the threshold. Curious, Anna approached to assist with his luggage, reaching him before Lucy emerged from the front door.

Grasping his bag firmly, she introduced herself with a slight bow, "Hello, I am Anna, maid and ranch hand. And you are?"

"Pleased to meet you, I am Sebastian Stan. I've been corresponding with Belle and have moved here from Chicago to explore a potential marriage with her."

Anna's pulse quickened as she nearly dropped his bag. "I... Yes. How did you two meet?"

"We started writing letters after I responded to her ad seeking a husband. I'm here to see if things will work out."

Anna couldn't help but find the situation eerily similar to her brother Walter's. Was she being paranoid, or was there something more sinister at play? She questioned her own motivations and the secrecy surrounding her investigation.

Resolving to learn more, Anna followed Lucy and Sebastian into the main room where Belle waited. Whispering to Lucy, she asked, "Is this what happened with my brother? Did he ever arrive, did he get this far?"

Belle took charge, leading Sebastian by the arm. Anna served them tea, then retreated to the kitchen as Lucy went to the garden.

As Anna set down the tea, Sebastian, with his long legs crossed, complimented Belle on their correspondence. Belle, fluttering her eyelashes and giggling, invited him upstairs to show him his room, winking suggestively.

Blushing, Sebastian expressed his surprise. Belle, in turn, reassured him, suggesting they had all the time in the world to get to know each other.

"Interesting," thought Anna as she went out to the garden. There, she found the girls engaged in a game of 'coyote,' competing to see who could catch chickens more effectively. Sally, triumphantly holding a docile chicken, explained their game to Anna.

Another week passed, and Anna examined her arms and legs, noticing a definite increase in muscle tone. Her muscles had ached for most of the past days, but gradually she was doing the work with less and less difficulty. Her arms looked toned and defined, and she liked how it looked.

She enjoyed spending time with Jill and Sally, Belle's daughters. She had arranged for extra pay during her downtime, sometimes cleaning the house with Lucy. She had the time but didn't really know how to relax around there. Plus, she enjoyed talking with Lucy, hearing about her life.