Chapter 7

They found Buster sleeping in the pigsty among the pigs, covered in mud. At their approach, he happily hopped through the mud towards them, splashing mud everywhere, then proceeded to shake it off in their faces. She was starting to regret her decision to employ this dog for the task.

"So, tell me why we need to train Buster and not just use your dog?"

"Buster should have a very keen sense of smell. He really could be of service in finding your brother. If you have something of his, he could track him down. With a little practice."

Her pulse quickened. That had never occurred to her. That was true, Buster could do it!

"What about your dog? Rhubarb?"

"Ah, she's a cattle dog. Good for cattle but not for sniffing. I left her at home, so she won't distract Buster. See, Buster is a Labrador Retriever. He's got the nose and innate tracking sense for that."

"How do you know so much about dogs?"

"I love dogs. I've always enjoyed learning about the different breeds and their special aptitudes."

Duke knew about animals? It was touching to see that sweet side. Too bad this was all just a mild distraction. Her heart pounded with grief for her brother.

They walked the homestead, seeing the dairy cow, the chickens, ducks, and the pig pen by the adjacent forest. Buster had moved to the chicken pen, happily lying in a sunny patch as chickens clucked around him. It was, after all, his primary job, protecting the chickens during the day. A laugh came to Anna, despite herself.

She supposed that made sense.

"Buster!" He stood up, tail wagging.

"The first thing we need is to get him some food," Anna said, frowning.

"Luckily, I come prepared." Duke reached into his pocket and pulled out some oat biscuits. "Don't tell Rhubarb she's missing out," he winked.

He held one up and shook it, smiling at Buster, whose attention was easily won. Buster's mouth was eagerly wide open, his tongue dangling and panting.

Duke held up what looked like an old, emptied grain sack with a small rope tied to one end of it.

"What's that?" Anna asked, puzzled.

"Practice for tracking. We rub a scent into it, drag it around to a hiding spot, and see if he can follow it. Then he will earn his treat," Duke explained.

Duke still had Buster's full attention, but Anna remained skeptical. Could this really work?

He must have sensed her skepticism, for he made a face and said, "Okay, missy. I'll show you..."

He put the biscuits into the sack on the string and handed it to Anna. "Drag it across the ground and into the woods. In a simple line for now."

She looked unsure but eyed him suspiciously. A dog like Buster could find treats, sure, but could he be disciplined to search for anything else?

"Ah, you'll be amazed at the magic trick we can do with a few runs. The game is like hide and seek. You take this and go hide not too far, but well, in the bush. Over yonder."

Anna nodded and did as instructed, walking into the woods, dragging the sack on a leash along the ground. Duke held back a biscuit and gripped Buster's collar to prevent him from excitedly chasing after her. The two of them waited there as she lost sight of him, turning her attention back to the tree canopy and finding a spot behind a large tree to hide with the sack in her arms. She tried not to move, to make no sound, and to stay out of sight, even as she peered around the tree. Not long after, peeking from behind the leaves, she spotted Buster. His body low, he sniffed his way into the woods, excited but focused, only occasionally losing the trail. His nose led him to spin in several meandering circles. Was she sure about this kind of training? It seemed unlikely to change him.

Buster meandered his path and slowly made his way to a spot by a tree with undergrowth, where he sniffed until her own giggles gave away her location. He had found her and the bag of biscuits!

She unleashed a handful of biscuits and let him munch on them as she praised and petted him. "It's just treats, though. Any dog can track that." She gave Duke a look, indicating her skepticism. He had taken such a long path to find her, and that was just for biscuits.

Duke gave Buster's sandy coat a rustling pat and praised him for the successful activity. "You just gotta be patient with him, and me," he said, giving her a teasing, mock-pleading look, which was very silly. She couldn't help but laugh.

"It takes some time, but you gotta let him figure it out for himself, right?"

She crossed her arms. "That's all well and good, but how's he going to track someone?"

"The same principle. We keep playing this game with him until he gets a bit better and can track longer, more complex things. Then we give him something with your brother's scent on it and see if he can track it into the woods. If indeed he's there to be found."

She nodded, though a sinking feeling crept up in her. She did suspect the worst but didn't dare think it through. Worst case indeed. But she had to know.

Things didn't add up; they just didn't. He would not have avoided her, run off without writing. Would he? Ashamed or not, she'd rather be heartbroken over his negligence than his death.

Then something unexpected happened. Duke took off his shirt, revealing his muscular arms and chest. She had never seen a grown man's bare torso before and looked away, her cheeks burning hot. "What's wrong, Anna?" Duke laughed. "Be serious." She glanced back; he was rolling his shirt into a ball.

"Let's step it up to human finding. Same game, only now he has to find me. You'll hold him, let him sniff the shirt, then let him search in the woods. Give me a couple of minutes' head start to hide."

She nodded and tried not to stare at his toned, soft skin. Her cheeks grew hotter, and she felt a wave of an undefined emotion she'd never experienced before when he handed her his balled-up shirt. It was still warm from his body, and she could smell a light, masculine scent on it. What Buster could detect with his nose, she could only imagine.

"Hold on tight to his collar now!" Duke said as he walked at a deliberately slow pace into the woods, presumably to leave a clearer scent trail. He disappeared between the trees, his boots crunching over the tall grass-fern mix covering the ground.

She stood there with Buster for a moment, enjoying the sun on her face, the fresh crisp air, and the birds chirping through the woods. She had only now taken the time to notice what a lovely day it was, the leaves in the woods glowing where the sun touched them, creating a dappled pattern of light on the ground.

After a few minutes had passed, with Buster standing at attention, excited for the game ahead, she bent down to his level and handed over Duke's balled-up shirt, which Buster eagerly sniffed. She let go of his collar, allowing the eager dog to dash into the woods, his nose to the ground, as he waggled around searching for the man with the same scent.

I can't believe this is working, she thought.

Still skeptical, she ran after Buster. He sniffed around and circled a tree to no avail before moving on. He found Duke, hidden in a glade behind a bush.

She couldn't stop herself from laughing as the dog affectionately licked Duke's face all over, and Duke responded in kind, laughing and rubbing the dog's long neck in praise. "Such a good doggy!"

He took another biscuit from his pocket, and Buster eagerly gobbled it up.

The possibilities were starting to sink in for Anna. She thought about it; she had Walter's trunk, and why would he leave without it? She knew where it was upstairs; it probably contained his clothing, which might still hold enough of his scent to track down the man himself, if he was indeed nearby in the woods.

They continued training Buster, repeating the exercise with longer paths and tougher, older clothing items, until the late afternoon sun began to dim the light in the woods.

"He should be able to withstand noise, water, and unpleasant smells," Duke said at the conclusion of the training. After a day filled with laughter, play, tossing food and fetching, and sniffing, the dog was pooped. Buster lay on the ground, his belly in the air, panting hard and unable to be stirred unless it was for dinner.

Exhausted, Anna sat down on a chair on the porch, and they relaxed with Lucy kindly bringing them tea and pie.