Chapter 16

Ever since Duke had helped her get started, Anna had continued to train Buster on how to track. The dog still enjoyed his mainly undisciplined life, rolling among the pigs on hot days or sleeping in the chicken coop on cold ones. But he was enthusiastic about the game of tracking. After a few more days of practice, Buster was getting quite good at the scent tracking game. Duke had returned once for another round and then advised Anna to practice more with the girls. Jill and Sally also adored the game; it was just like playing hide and seek.

That Saturday, Sally and Lucy were in the garden doing the washing. They scrubbed and wrung the clothing delicately, and then Jill hung it on the drying line. Anna felt it was time to test Buster's capabilities. She just needed a reason to go upstairs, open the trunk Walter had left behind, and grab some of his clothes. Belle would certainly see her as she fanned herself out on the back porch, watching the day go by without lifting a finger to help.

Anna supposed that was her right as the owner of the ranch, but it still didn't seem right. She would certainly never do that if it were her own farm, let alone her own children. Sure, it was good for children to work and learn some values; she had done it herself when young, but this seemed like overkill. The girls worked more often than they attended the schoolhouse, which was just four hours a day, from eight to noon on weekdays. They worked on the farm after lunch for about five hours, feeding the animals, planting, or tending to the garden. It just didn't seem right, even if the work was mostly fun. It just seemed too controlled. At least they got Sundays off for church. She needed a reason to go inside and get her brother's clothing item without Belle suspecting anything. It would also be likely she would need a reason to return with some clothing. Since she didn't know which garments to choose for maximum scent, she might need to try a few, both Sebastian's and Walter's, in case the scent faded. Perhaps wash day could be useful...

"I think I saw some clothing of Sally's upstairs that was forgotten for today's wash. I'll go retrieve it," she said to Belle.

Belle nodded and sipped her tea, saying nothing. It was easier than she had thought.

Anna crept up the old wooden staircase, avoiding touching the banister and the creaky step she knew well. She turned and fled into the bedroom, shutting the door as quickly as she could without making noise, then leaned against the cold wooden door for an extended moment, catching her breath. Once her heart stopped racing, she locked the door and went over to the closet door to check out the bags.

They were still there. It was only at that moment, as she gingerly pulled out Walter's trunk to free it and place it onto the bed, that she discovered a third bag behind it. There was Sebastian Stan's, her brother's, and behind them, another bag with a tag reading J. Benning. That was Belle's surname, of course, but not her initials. That's when it struck Anna that perhaps it was not unrelated. How could Belle have afforded this large, lovely house and farm? This type of thing was expensive. She could have bought it with her late husband. But the thought that he wouldn't have even unpacked struck her. Or perhaps he had packed to leave her.

None of this speculation could be proven, but she knew some kind of funny business was up, whichever way it went. Belle had gotten rid of that man, become a widow. At least it was known, public knowledge in the town, that he was dead. Perhaps if she returned to the post office, she could check if his head had some kind of insurance reward out for him.

Her thoughts were running with possibilities and further suspicions. She was sure they were on the right track, but she also had to stay focused. She opened Walter's trunk and revealed several folded shirts and two pairs of trousers, socks, undergarments. A pile of mixed clothes behind the bags contained—dirty ones! She grabbed a handful of the dirty clothes and tucked them under her apron. Her heart sank as she thought of him, arriving here, to his probable death. Meeting Belle, going upstairs for a bath after the long day's ride. Changing into fresh clothing, stuffing the dirty ones in the satchel, and closing it for the last time. The trunk would have been here on this bed, and hauled back into the closet by Lucy, or perhaps Belle herself.