Chapter 5

As Duke turned away from Anna, she couldn't help but admire his broad shoulders and purposeful stride. His calloused workman's hands caught her attention, and she found herself wondering what it would be like to have them gently caress her cheek. To look into his green eyes and see them tenderly gaze back at her. She longed for a man who would teach her without patronizing, as she aspired to become a productive ranch hand. She pondered what it would be like to be treated like another ranch hand, rather than being relegated to women's work, as her father had done.

But what must he think of her? She lacked the basics of fence repair and probably sounded like a girl in petticoats rather than an equal in ranching and cattle raising. Oh, how she wished she could retract her timid words to earn his respect...but did she desire his respect as a handyman, or his affection as a woman? She glanced down at her body, young and slim, with curves barely visible under her rough work clothing. It would be mortifying if he saw her as a fragile ornament when she desperately needed someone to guide her in ranch work. What she truly needed was a work partner to help manage the ranch, not a suitor. Definitely not a suitor. In any case, he probably wasn't interested romantically.

What was I thinking! Without my brother here, this place is in complete disarray, far too much for one person to handle. Anna mused as she headed to the stables to saddle Juniper and meet Duke at the fences. Her feelings about him were mixed. On one hand, having help was welcome, but the job was tougher than anticipated. Back at her own farm, where she was barred from ranching, three men did the work she now faced alone.

So, I've bitten off more than I can chew... I can leave as soon as I find my brother. Perhaps I'll join a more established ranch with a knowledgeable hand. That is, after I search for clues about my brother, Walter, going elsewhere.

She could find a farm with better conditions to pursue her dreams. Surely, she didn't need to return home immediately after this quest for independence.

"I came here to find my brother, and now, on my first day, before making any headway in my search, I'm entangled in problems with that man, his broken fence, and cattle issues. What is happening at this ranch?"

Jill and Sally scampered around the corner as she passed the garden, where the girls were diligently weeding between the tomato plants. She smiled at them in passing.

Riding through the stunning countryside, she crested the hill and noticed the mountain behind her for the first time. Perhaps she had been too preoccupied the previous night to see it, but now she marveled at the majestic mountains framing the skyline, their snow-capped peaks reminiscent of her home elsewhere in Oregon. She pondered what her family might be doing and realized she still needed to write to them.

Duke was waiting at his barn, grooming his beautiful chestnut mare, Star, named for the white blaze on her forehead. He tipped his hat as she descended the hill, his eyes twinkling beneath the brim.

Who does he think he is, trying to be charming?

"So, missy, looks like you need some help here."

"Yeah, alright, let's just get this over with."

Duke loaded a rucksack with supplies for the fence repair and stowed it in his horse's saddlebag. A coil of barbed wire, clippers, staples, a hammer, his saddle, rifle, snacks for them, and grain for the horses were all packed. They mounted and rode through the rolling green pastures, interrupted by fence posts. Duke's dog ran alongside them, obedient and well-trained. Buster could learn a thing or two from this dog. Buster is sweet, but I've never seen such an undisciplined dog before.

"So, what brings a fine young lady like you, of marrying age no less, to a new town, doing a man's job on a cattle ranch?" Duke inquired.

"Actually, you're right. I'm not a real ranch hand. I'm just learning, hoping to..." She admitted, her voice tight with emotion. He seemed kind and trustworthy. "You see, I'm here to find my brother. He was supposed to be at Belle's ranch. They corresponded. Do you know anything about Belle?"