chapter 1 - late night storm

The wind shoved against the shepards' house as the rain insistently pattered against the windows and roof, unnerving most of the pre-teens inside. The clock on the wall simply ticked to signal that passing minute. It was 10:06. Where was Neil?

"T-the wind's really scary..." Bobby shuddered, gripping her sheets. The wind broke a branch off a tree near the windows.

"I-i-i can't sleep!" Camila yelped as she ducked under her blanket.

"Hey, we'll be ok, girls. I promise. All winds blow away eventually," Dylan joked, wagging his tail, hoping it would help lift everyone's spirits. Everyone looked at him in annoyance.

"Heh, tough crowd tonight," he awkwardly chuckled. Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. It must've been Neil.

"Door's open!" Dylan called out. The door opened to a figure covered by the shadow their umbrella made until they closed it and tapped it on the floor just outside the house, simultaneously taking down their hood. It was Neil! He was just really late for some reason. He placed his umbrella against the wall under the coat hangers.

"Neil!" Everyone cried, overjoyed to see their friend. He took off his raincoat and shook it off before hanging it up on one of the hooks.

"Can you help us go to sleep, Neil?" Bryson asked, perking up a bit.

"Yeah, please? We could really use it!"

"It'd be a big help!" Camila pleaded.

"sleep, sleep, sleep!" hollie chanted, half asleep, but still wanting to engage in the conversation. Neil made a 'relax, relax' gesture before putting his thumbs up. Everyone thanked him as he went to grab Dylan's essential oil diffuser and went into the kitchen to fill it with water. Once he got back and placed it on the side table and went to close the curtains.

"Which scent?" he signed to the group. They all shouted out their favorite scents, and Neil resorted to eenie meenie minie moe and ended up landing on kai. He nodded to himself before pulling out his drawstring bag of essential oils and taking out ylang-ylang before dropping about five drops into the water, closing the diffuser, and turning it on. Neil put the ylang-ylang oil away and took out his music box; the song was Crumbling Dreams, which got pretty stale at times but it was still a nice tune.

"Goodnight," everyone thanked as Neil sat on the couch beside Dylan. He signed it back to them. The light, flowery scent combined with the calming music managed to get everyone to fall sound asleep. Wind and rain storms were all too common for Myrtle beach, so you'd think these 7th graders wouldn't be scared of wind, but they were. It was an odd shared fear and the only ones who didn't have it were Neil, Hollie, and Kai. But wind fear or not, Neil was happy to help his friends. Dylan inched up to his best friend and hugged him, wrapping his blanket around them.

"Thank you for helping everyone fall asleep, you know how bad I am at that kind of thing," he smiled and wagged his tail.

"It's no trouble," Neil signed back. Dylan quickly fell back asleep, and so did Neil.

532 words

next part should b on the 30th

smiling crittersजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें