chapter 21 - argument

Dylan woke up and quickly showered and got dressed before meeting his mom in the kitchen for breakfast.

"Morning baby. Sleep well?" she smiled, placing two plates in front of separate spots at the table. Dylan sat down with her and started eating.

"I slept great! How about you?" he asked back happily. She nodded and they spent the rest of breakfast in silence until Dylan had to go back into the bathroom to brush his teeth and get out the door for school. He got on the bus and talked with Hollie until they got there. They kept talking and got to see some of their other friends until they had to separate to their lockers. Dylan went to his first four periods and was excited to get to lunch and see all his friends together. He was on his way to the library with penny and camila until he heard what sounded like kai and bobby talking. They kept walking towards it to investigate.

"Just back off, bobby pin! You don't have any business knowing jack shit. The best way you can help is by leaving me the fuck alone, got it?" the young rooster demanded.

"I'm sorry, you just seemed tense," Bobby muttered back. It was odd, kai of all yokai knew bobby couldn't take being yelled at if her life depended on it, so why was he yelling at her?

"Hey dude, back off her! The hell's your problem?" Hollie snarled, grinding her teeth and growling at him.

"She was just prying too much, ok?!" Kai growled back.

"Kai, just breathe. She didn't mean anything by it, ok?" Bryson tried to calm him down. Neil was busy trying to comfort Bobby before she ran off crying. He reached for her before looking at Dylan, wondering what he should do.

"What's going on?" Dylan asked, jumping into action.

"None of your goddamn business, ok?" Kai snapped at him before storming off. Hollie thumped at him before spinning on her hind paw to the others.

"Bobby pointed out that kai looked a little stressed out, and he pretty much exploded at her for no fucking reason," she explained. Dylan hummed as the gears in his head started turning on how to resolve the situation.

"Ok, you guys go eat, Neil and I got this!" he smiled as he wrapped his arm around the back of his boyfriend's neck. Neil gave him a 'why me?' look.

"Because you're my second in command, and plus you're better equipped for more personal talk than I am," he scratched Neil on the chin, causing him to purr as he nodded.

"Here, I'll take your food," Penny offered as the boys handed her their lunch bags before she went into the library.

"Ok, here's the plan, i'll go check on bobby, and you go after kai and see how he's doing, sound good?" he smiled. Neil made an unsure face at him and nodded.

"Oh, don't give me that look, you're better at all that more... personal interpersonal stuff than I am, you'll do great! Ok, angel food cake?"

Neil's pupils dilated at the nickname as his tail started slowly wagging before nodding again (he's down bad). They separated and Dylan followed the smell of tears and rose perfume to find Bobby crying outside the front doors. He took off one of his shoes to prop the door open.

"Hey," he smiled, sitting beside her. She didn't say anything, she just hugged him and cried into his chest fur. He hugged back and waited for her to calm down.

"Sorry, i just couldn't talk because of the crying," she sniffled as she separated from the hug.

"It's fine, wanna go inside and clean up a bit?" he asked, getting a nod from the post-cub as they stood up and she noticed one of his shoes was missing.