Eirina Thinks That the Underworld Is A Crazy Place

"Welcome, weary travellers!" a voice greeted Eira and Percy. Annabeth had herself hidden under her hat and Grover was waiting outside for the coast to be clear. "Come inside and take a load off your shoulders! These beds will change your . . . . life. I promise you. Well, hello, there. Missing our mommy aren't we, young ones?"

Eira's nostrils flared. "Don't talk to him like that. We are very capable of taking care of ourselves, thank you."

"I know who you are," said Percy. "You're Procrustes. Also son of Poseidon, murderer of travellers."

The man, Procrustes, cringed upon hearing the name.

"Crusty, if you will, please," he insisted.

"Crusty is a nice name for you . . . . sir," said Eira sarcastically.

The man ignored her. He still had his eyes on Percy. Being the defensive girl she is, Eira immediately began to put herself in front of the boy. Percy put a hand on her shoulder, letting her know that it was okay and that he was fine. Eira wasn't entirely reassured. But if Percy knew what he was doing, she might as well let him do his own thing.

"And you," Crusty continued, his eyes still on Percy. "You've got your father's eyes. Why don't you take a load off? I'm sure that you two lovely children have been exhausted from your weary travels. Just take a minute. See? Don't these beds look comfy?"

"We're not falling for that," said Eira at once. "The beds are a trap. That's how you lure your guests here to kill them."

The man tried to act innocently, though she could see right through him. The aura around her began to glow red. "I do?"

"We know that there is a passage to the Underworld here," Percy butted in. "But you need to let me and her go through. Please?"

The man ignored him. "In addition to being incredibly comfortable, these beds are great for your self-confidence -"

"We aren't buying your lie, sir. I know when you're lying to me."

The man faltered, finally noticing Eira's red aura. He scoffed.

"Apollo's child, aren't you? I've seen a couple of those in my days. It's impossible to lie to them, isn't it?" He ignored her and continued, "They show you how to fit. Fitting's not easy for guys like us, hmm? Our parents try to make it so hard for us, don't they? Stretching us, and twisting us, and hacking off pieces to make us more like them. Anywho, these beds take all of that stress and worry away."

"For the last time, sir, we aren't falling for your lies," Eira repeated loudly.

"Why don't you try it, first, and demonstrate to us how it works?" Percy suggested.

On cue, Annabeth shoved the man into the nearest bed. At once, blankets sprang up and wrapped around him tightly so that there was no way he could escape. The daughter of Athena then took off her hat.

"Are you two okay?" Annabeth asked, her voice laced with concern.

"Yeah, we're fine," Percy answered, lacing his hand through Sveta's.

"You won't be able to save her, y'know?" Crusty groaned.

"Oh, shut up," Eira scoffed. "We're going to the Underworld, whether you like it or not. Just be grateful that we let you keep your head. Don't push it."

The door opened, revealing an anxious-looking Grover.

"Is it over?" he asked nervously.

"C'mon in," said Eira with a laugh. She waved him over and he happily trotted over towards them.