Two - First Session

I drove down the road, praying that my sat nav wouldn't faze out again. I wasn't even sure if I was going the right way, because each time I thought I would be close to my destination, the sat nav would change on the fly. Even though I'd been given some written notification to Just keep going straight once you see the large brown tree, how the fuck was I supposed to know what tree to follow? They all looked the same.

Seriously, who puts a clinic in a forest?

When they first told me about that, I thought there were having a laugh; but my previous therapist told me that this was the only place they could find at such short notice. It almost sounded like they couldn't wait to be rid of me.

I jiggled up and down as my Qubo struggled to keep straight on the rocky road. I had a panic that my tires were going to be ripped clean off – and god knew I couldn't afford a new car! I liked this car, sure it got confused for a post office van from time to time, but it had been with me a good few years. My biggest issues was that if I had a breakdown, I wouldn't have a clue where to ask for help. The 'roads' were just a collection of loose stones and dirt, clearly not made for driving on. All I could see was tree after tree; how did I even know the tree I found was the right one?

I looked at my watch, worried that I was going to be late for my appointment, I even considered turning back as it seemed like a waste of time – if I could even find my way out of this forest. I never wanted therapy to begin with, but my mum thought it might be beneficial. For whom, I'll leave that up to you to decide/

By some luck, divine intervention, fate – call it what you will, I happened across a building. I didn't remember seeing anything moments before, it was like it magically appeared. The roads suddenly became clearer and I was able to drive without any potential damage to my car; as much of a piece of shit as it was already. Seeing that I was nearly close I pushed on, driving until my Qubo stopped outside the building. As I turned off the engine, the car let out a heavy sigh, as if thanking me for not putting it through anymore of that terrible ordeal.

The building looked like an old-fashioned barn, converted into a modern building. It was like modern day urbanisation with a rustic aesthetic, albeit out of the city. On the top of the entrance I saw Ouroboros Clinic, confirming that this was where I was supposed to be. I let myself allow a sigh of "Thank fuck" for finding it, although I still had to wonder why a clinic would be out in the middle of nowhere.

I stepped out of my Qubo, noticing that the underside had been caked in mud. It was just adding to the colour really. At one point this car was the shiniest red you could see – but a collection of dirt and grime had dimmed it somewhat. I should have cleaned it, but I would just wait until it rained, that would do it.

As I got out of my car, a strong aroma hit my nose. It was a pleasing, sweet smell – a perfumed bliss that instantly made all my anger disappear. As I walked to the front entrance, I pressed the intercom; which made a hiss more than a buzz. I didn't get an answer straight away, so I just casually looked around, the sweet smell still in my nostrils. I looked up at one of the trees and thought I could see something hanging from the branches. It wasn't entirely spherical, but showing some signs of red. Apples maybe?

"Yes?"

That distorted voice brought me out of my mini-trance with a jump. I coughed once and then caught my breath. "Um, Adam. I have an appointment with Dr Eve."

Huh, Adam and Dr Eve. I thought they were pulling my leg when I heard that.

"Ah yes. Please come in and take a seat, I'll be right with you."

I heard a lock undo. I opened the door and walked right in. Inside, I was met with a large white room, where I saw two leather chairs and a table in the middle. The sweet smell from outside was stronger in here I noticed, and my nostrils seemed to dance. I didn't see Dr Eve anywhere at the moment, which seemed strange. I decided to sit down on one of the leather chairs. Had to say it was one of the most comfortable I've ever sat on, caressing my back like a massage. That and the smell soothed me and I allowed myself to relax.