Twenty-Four - The Monster They Need Me To Be

It didn't take long for the police to find me - nor did I try hiding myself in anyway. One count of arson and 200 plus counts of murder was what I was being charged with. I say plus at the end as they were still finding bodies long into my trial. I think the final count was close to 300 by the time they were done, I can't really remember.

I told them everything. Everything they wanted to hear. Everything they needed to hear. I plead Not Guilty, even though I knew full well I would get a Guilty verdict. I wanted them to hear everything I had done, so that the media could report it and the Internet would rage about it. The jury barely needed any time giving me a conviction - they were only gone twenty minutes at most before the verdict was passed. Must have set a new record.

All I ever wanted was to find my purpose in life, to learn what the point in life was. But all this time I didn't realise I already had a purpose, I was just running from it. But now I know.

I am a monster.

The monster They want me to be.

The monster They need me to be.

I always thought prison would be a terrible thing, that I could never last in there. Turns out I was wrong. I have more friends now than ever before. Oh sure, there's been some cunt that's tried to shiv me in my first week, but I showed him who was boss. I even made a new friend. Used to be a nurse at a hospital, until he murdered some bitch that was trying to frame him - or so he said.

I don't know how much time has passed since I've been here. Time is a non-factor when you're in prison, you just live out your day one day at a time. Not to different from when I was outside - here at least I could be myself.

Some reporter interviewed me some time back, wanting to learn a bit more about me. My trial got a lot of media attention it seemed and this reporter wanted to write a book about me. I heard it became an international best seller, and some streaming company want to make a TV movie about it. Looks like I finally made it in book form!

Oh, and Mysti's book was published posthumously. It barely broke the top ten best sellers list. I beat her. I can take some solace in that.

We seem to be getting more guys sent down for assault charges lately. From what I heard, violence towards women has increased by about 56% and murders are up 47% now. The Movement will be so happy with us. We're justifying their cause. And in turn, they're giving us a purpose in life. Strange as it may sound, we're helping each other here. It's an endless cycle - one I'm part of now.

They don't want things to get better, despite what They say - because if things get better, Their movement comes to a halt. We're here to make sure They stay in control.

I like to think that if they saw what I had done, they'd look me in the eye and say "You know what, Adam - you did great!"

Damn right I did.