Twenty-Three - Eden Burns

I walked up from the basement, back to the entrance of the museum, leading flame behind me. I remember once I said that if this place went up, everything would go up in a second – but the fire seemed to cling to the museum, caressing the wood with it's gentle embrace. It was like in one of those movie sets where something burned, but not really. A controlled blaze. Or maybe it was hell, and I was here to spread it.

I didn't know what was happening. And in truth, I didn't care. All I knew was that I could feel warmth for the first time in ages.

I turned and looked, seeing the museum patrons gazing towards me. The look of fear and terror in their eyes was sobering, for the first time they actually noticed me.

I couldn't help but smile.

But they had so far been denied the fires' love. They were yet to learn of the beauty of the flame.

I waved my hand, like a conductor composing a beautiful symphony. The fire swooped in on them; I could hear their screams as the flame took them, stripping their clothing and flesh in equal measure. They joined with the flame as one – as ash.

I saw Ron amongst them, running around with his back on fire. How was putting a paper cup into recycling going to help you now?

But there were many more in this museum. And they needed to be made as one.

The flame trailed behind me wherever I went. Wherever I found someone, I made sure that the flame took them. Some tried to run, but my fire was quicker. Some tried to hide, but my fire found them. Some tried to beg, but my fire had no ears to listen. I became numb to the smell of burned flesh and the sounds of screaming. I could have been walking through a beautiful garden for all I cared.

I didn't know many of these people, but it didn't matter. None of them tried to help me, so why should I help them?

Walking through, the charred remains of that self-help poster I put up a while ago float towards me. I caught a glimpse of it before the fire took it away from me, reciting the questions it asked before.

Your health matters

Not anymore!

Make time for yourself.

You know, what, I will!

Ask yourself "What do I want to achieve today?"

This is easy – to watch everything burn!

Your thoughts and opinions matter.

Of course they do, I see that now! And if people won't listen, I'd MAKE them listen!

You are loved.

Better to be hated.

You are beautiful.

No. But I don't want to be.

It's ok to ask for help.

These people are at least, but no one can help them!

Show the world what you can do.

Oh they could already see what I could do!

I heard a scream down the hallway that didn't belong to anyone I recognised, so I headed towards it. It took me to a stairwell, which as of yet was untouched by my fire. The screams seemed to be from a gathering of people just downwards from where I was. A crowd of people that were struggling to get away from the heat, all piled up like sardines, crushing against each other. They were pushing against the fire exit, desperate to get it open.

And at the front, I saw Lara, pushing against the door with all her might along with the others. I did say that it would be a problem, bet she wished she listened to me now.