Twenty-Two - My Last Day

I peaked through the gap in the door into the Conference Hall, which we usually hired out to anyone who wanted a big event or whatever. Ironic now that it was being used for one of our own. Every single chair was packed with someone of high standing. The podium had a table by the side, with rows of books. Across the walls was a banner that had Mysti's name across it. Either side was a blown-up picture of her face, her smile somewhat more obnoxious than usual. Mysti stood to the side of the room, looking nervous – but I knew she was faking it. She was lapping this up like a dog to water, and it was clear that she was going to milk this as much as she could. Her mum was sat near her, placing a hand over her shoulders to add in with the façade.

I had no hand in setting up this event. Lara specifically forbade me from going anywhere near it, mostly because of the controversy I had stirred up. It was ok, I wanted nothing to do with this anyway. It looked like they were about to get ready, I'd had better make myself scarce.

I walked away, my footsteps slow and steady. The museum had a decent amount of people in today, with it being the weekend, but luckily I had no immediate jobs to do. I took a little walk towards the art gallery again, my eyes glancing over the great paintings of all the amazing artists; each of them making their mark on history. I used to enjoy walking through here, taking in the surroundings and basking in the glory of others. Today was going to be the last day I ever did that. This was the one part of the job that I even remotely enjoyed. And now it was going to be taken away from me. I doubted that Lara would even let me in the museum after I was kicked out. This was it. I was fast approaching what many considered the three saddest words in the English language.

The fucking end.

For one final time, I passed by The Fall of Man, gazing at it as if it were an old lover. Never again would I be able to lay eyes on this amazing painting. From the first day, it was like I was drawn to it. The way that Adam looked so helpless as Eve took the apple from the tree, thus fucking up humanity for the rest of eternity. I didn't think of it at the time, but now it made sense – Adam was powerless then, he was powerless to save humanity. All because of one selfish woman.

Maybe we were all powerless.

No, that couldn't be true. There were powerful people out there, and people like me were just there to justify their existence.

Maybe that's been my purpose all along.

Purpose. That word sounded so ugly to me now, so decrepit, so dirty. What a stupid thing it was to have a dream, to think I could amount to anything in this world?

Well, at least after today, maybe I could finally rest.

In the corner of the gallery, I swore I saw Gavin. I figured it was best to hide his gaze. He seemed to be looking at a piece of paper and crying, putting it close to his chest. I didn't care to find out what that was.

I went to the café to check on Rachel. She was on her own at the moment, I guess Ron was out doing fuck all or something. Rachel worked so hard, and yet she got no rewards for it. It was unfair.

Shaking my head and sighing deeply, I walked over to her. "Hey, Rachel."

"Oh, hey up, Duckie," she said, "how's it going."

I smiled to myself. Her voice was so cute sometimes.

"You all right, Adam?" Rachel asked. "You look a bit down."

I hadn't told her that today was my last day. I wanted to spare her that at least. "Yeah, I'm fine."

It was a lie I regretted telling her, but sometimes a lie can do more than the truth.