[19] Serial Killer

[19] Chapter Nineteen

Serial Killer

↉ ↉ ↉ ↉ ↉ 

Numbness.

That's all Clara felt. Ever since she had that hallucination at Lydia's party, her mind was concentrated on seeing her dead brother stand before her and tell her that the death of her parent's was all her fault. Even if there wasn't an immense and inevitable guilt swarming inside of Clara, there most definitely was now.

She's barely holding herself together but the only thing keeping her from having a metal breakdown was the fact that she was with Stiles and Scott in Stiles' bedroom. After the party, Stiles and Scott allowed Clara to gone home and changed since her dress was sticking to all the wrong places and was becoming uncomfortable. 

Thankfully, she changed into flowly white button-down shirt with skinny jeans. What also happened after the party was Scott getting a visual confirmation of Matt being the master of the Kanima. The three of them came over to the Stilinski household to convince the Sheriff, the former Sheriff, that Matt was the real killer and not Harris, who the police were suspecting. 

"So this kid's the real killer?" Mr. Stilinski questioned, glancing down at the photo of Matt in last year's yearbook. It was circled in red sharpie by Stiles.

"Yeah."

"...No."

"Yes!"

"No."

Stiles flung out of his office chair and stood in front of his dad. "Dad, come on. Everybody knows that the police look for ways to connect victims in a murder, okay? So all he had to do is, like, look through their transcripts and figure out which class they all had in common."

"Yeah, except for the fact that the rave promoter Kara wasn't in Harris's class." His father said, trying to convince himself that the theory that these three teenagers had wasn't true.

"All right, okay, you're right, sorry." Stiles apologized in sarcasm. "Then I guess they dropped the charges against him?"

The former Sheriff clenched his jaw. "No, you know what? They're not dropping the charges. But that doesn't prove anything." He glanced at Scott and Clara who were standing behind his erratic son. "Scott, Clara, do you guys believe this?"

"It's really hard to explain how we know this, but you just gotta trust us. We know it's Matt." Scott stated with pleading eyes, wanting more than anything for Mr. Stilinski to believe them.

"Yeah, he took Harris's car, okay? Look, he knew that if a cop found tire tracks at one of the murders, and that if enough of the victims were in Harris's class, that they'd arrest him." Stiles explained and it sounded believable. Clara hadn't realized how good a detective Stiles was until now. 

Sheriff Stilinski groaned slightly, in disbelief that a small part of him was starting to believe this. "All right, fine. I'll allow the remote possibility, but give me a motive. I mean, why would this kid want most of the 2006 swim team and its coach dead?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Stiles exclaimed, throwing his hands up. Clara raised her eyebrows, it clearly not obvious to her, the Sheriff or Scott. "Our swim team sucks! They haven't won in, like, six years. Okay, we don't have a motive yet. I mean, come on, does Harris?"

Sheriff Stilinski huffed and dropped his arms. "What do you want me to do?"

Clara stepped forward, finding the strength to speak after that horrific scene at the party. "We just need to look at the evidence."