[20] Hostages with Bullet Wounds

[20] Chapter Twenty

Hostages with Bullet Wounds

⟡ ⟡ ⟡ ⟡  

For the whole time Clara has lived in Beacon Hills, she's had to face multiple supernatural almost-death experiences. There was the hunter shooting at the Hale house and shooting Scott, almost suffocating from wolfsbane by Allison's crazy mother, and so many more. But Matt holding a gun to her head was completely human. Dying by a bullet in the head was a completely human death.

A wave of panic swept over, the fear as a building block on Clara's already toppling tower of problems. Her slightly shaking hands gripped on the ends of the white button-down shirt she was wearing. Seeing the lunacy swirling around Matt's eyes as he moved behind her didn't settle any of her nerves.

She felt the barrel of the gun pointing right at the back of her head as Matt instructed her to move. She did as the commanded, not speaking one word as the barrel of the gun seemed to lead her to the Sheriff's office. Right when Clara was in the doorway, Matt shoved her inside, moving the gun away from her. All eyes were on her and Matt as Clara hurried to move in between Stiles and Scott, who protectively tried to shield her from Matt.

"Matt, it's Matt right?" The Sheriff asked even though he already knew. Matt nodded, tightening his grasp on the gun. "Matt, whatever's going on, I guarantee you there's a solution that doesn't involve a gun."

"You know, it's funny you say that, because I don't think you're aware of just how right you are." Matt grinned, cocking his head to the side as he looked the four.

"I know you don't want to hurt people."

"Actually, I want to hurt a lot of people." He disagreed, narrowing his eyes. "You three weren't on my list, but I could be persuaded. And one way is to try dialing somebody on your cell phone, like McCall is doing." Stiles and Clara looked behind to see Scott quickly whipping his hand out of his pocket, closing his eyes as he realized that probably wasn't the best idea at the moment. "That - that could definitely get someone hurt. Everyone. Now!"

"Come on." The Sheriff softly added, trying not to worry the teenagers more than they already were.

Everyone placed their phones on the Sheriff's desk, all turned off or on silent. They all stood silent, waiting for what Matt planned next. Clara knew that she was a werewolf with supernatural abilities and could kill Matt. But Clara stepping out of line could make Matt hurt someone and she never got the chance to tell the others that the Kanima was somewhere in the building.

A churning feeling twisted in Clara's stomach as Matt sadistically grinned at the hostages he had captured. She was in a room with a human killer; not a homicidal Alpha looking to avenge his family or one of her close friends turning into a lizard that he can't even control. 

No, she was in a room with just a serial killer and that was more terrifying than the others.

⟡ ⟡ ⟡ ⟡ 

"Tighter."

After Matt had commanded that they leave their phones in the Sheriff's office, he forced the four hostages into the holding cell room in the back of the station. Clara was surprised that they were able to reconstruct everything since Isaac's escape on the full moon. Clara and Scott were standing off to the sidelines, watching as the Sheriff sat on a metal bench and his son handcuffing him to one of the bars.

"Do what he says, Stiles." The Sheriff said, looking up at his only son with pleading eyes. Clara felt the urge to say the same thing to Stiles once she saw Matt inched his index finger towards the trigger. It was already clear in her mind that if one of them didn't follow his order, someone would get hurt.