2

Cetlali always carried in Ezren's first meal every single morning. It comprised cooked oats and berries, a large side of fried mutton, a quick boiled egg, and a glass of water. She smiled and greeted him at his desk. As usual, he didn't reply. She laid the food at the table set near the window overlooking the sands and the sea.

After arranging everything as he liked, she allowed herself a minute to stare out at the scene. Uroxem's vibrant light reflected off the ethers of the dawn clouds. It rained brightness on the ocean, bathing the surface in marvelous sparkles finer than any gem she had ever seen, a wonder that would never cease.

"Will you join me?" Ezren's mouth was just above her ear. His fingers curled around her arm, warm and familiar. The thumb on his hand traced circles on the thin fabric covering of her elbows. Her instinctual reaction and desperate need to flinch away from the sensations of another's touch arose. She knew she couldn't escape it, so she fed all the energy she could into staying still and giving a simple

nod. At least, from staring out at the ocean, she could hold on to what she thought peace might feel like.

His hand dragged down her arm. Long fingers grasped hers as he directed her to where she set his meal. He sat down in his chair.

Cetlali went to sit across from him at the small table, but his fingers went firm around hers. He let go and her discomfort became just another odd thing about her, that she must keep quiet and hidden. Ezren wasn't hesitant about his actions, nor did he seem to care about her opinion of it. In fact, he got quite riled at her unsettled dithering.

She could've tried to talk about it. She knew too well how confusing and awful people could be, and heaping her misery on top of anyone else's seemed reprehensible and selfish. Once, she had the misguided idea of telling Zeger, but she decided it was better to just be silent. So far, silence kept her safe. Despite her childish misgivings, she devoted herself to her duty to Ezren. She trusted him, as she always had to.

Feeling that, if nothing else, things could always be much worse.

Several scrolls sat on the table, likely put there before he took her from the window. A few were open, still rolled loosely next to several that remained sealed with maroon and brown wax, the colors of the Armistead Clan. She fought her frown. She doubly focused on trying to ignore the horrible sound of someone chewing so loudly. No matter how wonderfully mannered they may be, it was a vile noise. The sound stopped bothering her when her eyes settled on the loose scroll with remnants of marbled yellow and grey wax, like that of the Imperial Clan Adityan. She never got to see the physical existence of Rocha's correspondence, so she couldn't help her curiosity.

"Are you hungry, Cetlali?" Ezren sipped on his tepid water.

Her stomach rebelled at the mere idea. "I'm fine, thank you." It came out in a voice that sounded otherworldly to her.

"And how are your lessons with my brother?"

His question came out pointed, hard, and presumptuous.

Cetlali took a moment to form a reply.

Hesitant and nervous because of his tone, that rang smug and knowing. She feared she had done something wrong. "Vao Filius has been instructing me on engineering war machines."

A distant smile came over her face. She couldn't focus so much on Ezren.

She recalled a memory when she and Zeger were much younger and had made a trebuchet.

The egg they launched moved with far too much force and speed. The vase it struck flew backwards so hard it shattered against the wall behind it. And the egg, well, it hit the vase at the same time Rocha waltzed through the door next to their target. It splattered violently all over her and her new dress. It was purely accidental, yet not regrettable. Cetlali still had a permanent discoloration on her thigh from the punishment she took, but even that misery couldn't stifle the giggle that wanted out. It was