13

Athua walked them to Cetlali's quarters, a level below Ezren's suite. She had given them all a brief tour and some useful tips on not getting lost around the labyrinth-like palace.

Lovou stepped in first, flicking his eyes around the space before he opened the door wide for the rest of them. He abandoned his place to wait during their entrance, skipping the niceties. He began pacing around the area in determined investigation. His glare was looking as if the gauzy curtains themselves held nefarious plots he meant to unearth.

Athua showed Cetlali the solar and the bedroom. Circumventing Lovou's intensity was easy enough with her lilting knowledge. The bed was massive, bigger than just enough for two. Cetlali's stomach went rancid on wondering why she'd ever want the extra space.

It was not something she had ever requested.

The mere theory of it being a space for two or more chilled her. She'd only ever had one

unwanted occupant in a shared bed. No matter how 'innocent' it was, the enormous bed made a distinct illness chill her to the bone.

Athua noticed her discomfort. She came to Cetlali's side in an instant, her tone genuine with concern. "You seem displeased."

Cetlali's head snapped up to look at her. She shook her head. "No, no, that's not it. I've just never had a bed that big before. Your bed didn't use to be that big. I mean, it's just supposed to be me and that's far too big for only me." Lovou stiffened in his search as she spoke. Her words sounding much more frightened than she wanted them to.

Athua nodded, trying to reassure her friend.

"Well, most of the Complex's rooms have larger beds than normal. Attendants switched this one in when Masha wanted my old one in her new rooms. She'd carved things into the frame, you see. The newer one probably differs from the quarters you've stayed in as a Vassal's attendant too."

Athua was careful with her continued explanation. She knew Cetlali needed facts to edge away from whatever made her look so absent. "Aside from the Emperor and his Imperial Clan, the Vassour Elect is surely the most integral person to the safety and stability of the Pagegonian Empire. The Sovereignty and the citizenry appreciate their services and those of all who tend to them. We often show them great favor."

Athua grinned, "And well, since Ezren doesn't have any kin with him, I persuaded Eraughn to give you the rooms that once belonged to me when my father lived here. My profound regrets, because I could not decide on amenities after I had moved out." Her smile was wistful for the surrounding room. "Masha and I will have to come and show you how to spend a night in here without going mad with the space."

"Oh, that'd be tremendous!" Cetlali beamed and clapped several times.

When Athua shifted to show her to the washroom, a physical barrier between her and Lovou moved, too. Before he realized she was attending to him, Cetlali caught the curious, soft look on his face aimed in her direction. It made him look less distant and so much younger. Then he scowled his angry scowl at her, flushed, and went back to his avid investigation. She let Athua tug her along by her arm. Cetlali wondered why he always had to be so damn enigmatic and confusing, like an honest smile would kill him.

"The washroom has a copper tub!" Athua grinned at the enormous oblong well in the center of the room. "My father had it installed a few months ago. It more closely resembled the styles we have in Cazar Waingnam. It holds heat so much longer than others because of the insulation."

Cetlali forced a grin at first, but when she saw it, she was indeed pleased. "It's amazing!"

She stepped forward and knelt down, brushing her fingers over the smooth, gleaming rim.