41

Cetlali rushed off in the opposite direction of Ovar with equal parts terror and enthusiasm.

She had no intention of facing Ovar head on because he would obliterate her. Xocthl was quick on her tail, slinking through the mayhem of the Municipal Army, cutting down a good portion of Ovar's followers. They helped a few of their own as they passed by any soldiers getting overwhelmed or nursing injuries.

When Cetlali spotted Athua, it was only a slight surprise to see the Empress protecting the shit out of herself just fine. She'd never seen Athua wield the long staff she bore. But it was a sure thing of beauty as she swiped and jabbed at her attackers with the harpoon headed end.

Twirling it artfully into a pale blue and white blur, she bashed someone else's head in with the opposite side, a bulbous curve to the end about the size of a meaty fist.

Athua took out two of Eraughn's sentries, Gron and Teo who had both turned on her.

Wez had stayed as an Imperial Guard should, helping Ohmera cut down the remaining betrayers of Ezren's retainers. Kazu threw a man into a brazier with a glorious ululation.

Sivoy Enharouq cut through another charging at Athua and Masha's backs. Zoya Enharouq armed herself with Masha's spare daggers, trailing behind her husband, not entirely one for battle, but never without a fight.

Masha was, of course, fighting off Eraughn himself. The crowned Emperor wailed at her with his takoba. She deflected him with her ulu blades, swift as the wind. The curved ivory handles had carved out grips along the backside of wide, semicircular midnight sapphire blades.

They moved quicker than the flickering flames surrounding them. The Emperor seemed put out again, contested by someone who'd only been an Auxiliary for a short time. Not only younger than him, but several inches shorter than him as well. Few considered how ill-conceived notions could hamper them in a fight.

Cetlali looked around and saw that their battle was close to won. She cut down two more dissenters in quick succession as they panicked. She kept herself from looking the entire time she was fighting at Xocthl's side. It was admirable, but she eventually lost her ability to stay focused. She found herself stuck in a pocket free of violence and turned to watch Lovou and Ovar fight.

It was a horrifying sight if she'd ever seen one, and she had plenty to compare it to. Their movements were so swift and so fucking large, the room swelled with their presence alone. A horrible battle ignited between dark shadows and glimmering gold, the roaring of an unchained beast and the snarling birth of another.

Ovar was still moving fine, but he had a large gash on his cheek and multiple dents in his scale armor. Some looked so severe they had to be gouging him and hindering him somehow. He was missing a glove and an arm

guard on opposing limbs, huffing with rage as Lovou swung at him.

Lovou was quick and fierce with a focus so hell bent born on his features. The cut on his forehead did not daunt him, dripping blood down the side of his face, nor the sweat and hair clinging to his skin. He'd lost both of his gloves and an arm guard. Though he was huffing almost as hard as his brother, for a moment, Cetlali could have sworn he was smiling.

A distinct sense of relief settled over her chest for a beat. Then she heard Athua scream her name. The first thing she remembered doing was waiting with a sense of horror coming over her. She shook her head and with an ardent prayer he wouldn't have heard. When Lovou started turning in her direction with wide, alarmed eyes, a startling sense of agony verified he definitely did.

It all went wrong. Because of her.

No.

Cetlali heard the rattling of scale armor.