20

Zoya came to retrieve them after Sivoy finished setting the table. He waited until everyone else came to sit before he took his seat.

He was still so imposing, almost as tall as Lovou, but with a lithe nature to him. Around his clan, though, the edges of cold civility chipped away and his stern frown would soften into a smile, hiding a kind voice behind it.

The food got passed around with mild chatter. Most shared common updates since the last time they were all able to have dinner together. Athua updated the clan on the court, since it was her rightful realm of expertise. Who was courting who was a brief topic that all but an engrossed Sivoy were disinterested in.

Discussion of clan squabbles had Masha leaning in and snickering while Zoya tried not to smile at her quips. Athua discussed politics with her father, who was eager to push her confidence in her stances. He challenged and debated with her. Tested her logic and her

investment in what she stood for. Zoya engaged too and possessed an impressive wisdom, being an eminent historiographer. She brought a perspective that Athua and Sivoy neglected.

Both of them often focused far too much on the future to be cautious of the past. The mild dressing-down by her mother pleased Masha to no end.

Cetlali updated them as best as she was willing. She never escaped the assessing gaze of Sivoy, nor Zoya's solicitous gaze. She tried to be as vague as she could when glossing over the finer, darker aspects of her current situation.

Cetlali brought up the superb quoluh and mentioned how the mutton had to be delectable as well because Lovou had eaten it by the fistful. She made some jokes about Vae Encarnita's disapproval as she strolled through the Vassour Elect's Complex. The state of it left her unimpressed, like she expected better from the Palace among Cazars. Sivoy then questioned Cetlali about her duties with Ezren.

She tried to be clear and direct with all the explanations of her services. She didn't delve into her relationship with Ezren. Instead, just

chopped her life up to digestible bits she could still regurgitate with a smile on her face.

Thankfully, the discussion drew back to Masha. Sivoy questioned her intentions with the most ferocity. Masha was thoughtful and just as stern, looking at her father like a reflection. She laid out her goals and listed what she wanted to learn. She knew she should practice patience, learn to be a follower first, so one day she could become a proper leader.

Sivoy was quiet but proud of her responses while Athua, Cetlali, and Zoya beamed with delight. The rest of the meal was very pleasant.

Even after the meal finished, the conversation flowed enough for all of them to forget themselves. And most unfortunately, the time.

Cetlali realized with a start that Lovou had never returned. Sivoy offered profuse apologies for not being more cognizant of the passing hours. He went to retrieve some of his guards to escort Cetlali back to her chambers. Once they arrived, they reported Lovou had returned with Ezren's response. Cetlali's choice to return

was at her own leisure, as she assured him of her safety.

Her stomach tightened, too full and gurgling with unease. Not being told that earlier was another nail in her coffin. They couldn't have known Ezren's hidden meaning.

Of course, he would allow the presumption of leniency. Cetlali knew better than to trust such pleasantries. She had gone and forgotten about it. She still couldn't care less when surrounded by the warmth and the comfort of her friends and their delightful parents.

Everything had to be such a test with Ezren.

This was one she had indirectly failed. She bid goodnight to the Enharouq brood then set on making it back to the Vassour Elect's Complex as quickly as possible. Two of the Enharouq's guards accompanied her. There was Embla, in the top ten warriors of the realm, and Bihotz, not a slouch with a sword by any means, but better known for how pretty she was — just honest to the gods beautiful.