5

Cetlali made her way back to the baggage train, set on ensuring Ezren's trunks and parcels were all accounted for. It wouldn't do for the Vassour Elect to find himself wanting. She didn't feel like she could handle any more punishment for the day. Her swallow was hard to get down as she ticked off all the items on her list. Her hand shook with an effort to distance herself from thoughts she couldn't go through right then.

Her heart hammered in her chest at a near frantic pace. Haggard, pained breaths shivered right out of her lungs. The vibrations trickled out to ravage the rest of her limbs through panging muscles. Her stomach clenched.

Blood ran hot and cold, churning every part of her into a skittish and scatterbrained mess. She had the urge to dive headfirst into a tree trunk.

Unconsciousness was welcome relief from the intensity of what was happening in her mind and body. She couldn't afford to fall apart. Too much depended on her to get the carts moving

and the people on track, but she was going to careen off the rails at any second.

"Cetlali..."

She dropped her charcoal and parchment, body freezing up in ultimate fear. The voice behind her supplied her with a distinct sort of terror, one that lasts a lifetime. She turned and looked up at Ezren, seeming much more stern, severe, and displeased than usual.

"Ez — Vao — V—V—Vassour Elect..." Tiny gasps were an attempt to get her heart rate back down. Her eyes darted around, focusing back on him, looking for someone else, begging anyone else for help, anyone but him.

He frowned, a lofty eyebrow rose and expectation laced his expression. "Cetlali..." His tone was chastising.

"I'm sorry Vao, I —, Vassour Elect — I just

—," Cetlali choked on despair when he stepped forwards. His hands darted out and grabbed her by the shoulders, digging his fingers into

her sensitive skin. Her breath came out in a gasping whimper. Pain shot through her shoulders and down her limbs, clearing her mind. The blistering sense of shame dampening her vision sharpened into an instant, myopic focus on his gilded green eyes.

Ezren leaned over her and his gaze boring into hers. "Are you capable?"

Something in his words landed, pointed and painful, and chilled her to the bone. She nodded, breathless, and tried to rein in her tears, focusing in on the sharp sting of his grip.

It pulled her back into her place, forcing her to remember that she didn't serve fear or despair.

She served Ezren Armistead.

His mouth was a dangerous distance from hers. Even hidden back behind the cart as they were, with others dithering all over every other place, she couldn't believe he would be so brazen. "Can I trust you to perform as needed, Cetlali? Or have I overestimated your competency?" His eyes roved over her face,

disapproval sharp in his features, making them frenzied.

She shook her head, and his grip on her was still too firm. She let out a tiny whine of pain.

He shushed her, and she flinched away from the caustic sound. She grit her teeth and tried to breathe, feeling the air stuttering in her chest until Ezren tightened his grip further. Pain lanced through her again. Cetlali's knees went weak.

"I need you here, Cetlali. Not lost in your thoughts. Not crying and scared. I need you, the smart, dedicated woman at my side who won't fail to please me." He almost shook her, his words an eerie whisper with all his show of force. "You are not a child anymore. I cannot suffer such weakness in Epoubodaz."

"I'm sorry," her pathetic bleating appeased him for a time. He used his grip on her arms to shove her away from him. She exhaled and ceased her shaking, her eyes centering on him.

She willed herself to ignore the looming shadow in the corner of her vision. "I won't fail

you," she almost whimpered, but there was an iron will to the words as she forced them out, "I promise."

His grimace twisted. "Can I trust you are with me, Cetlali?"

She smiled at him despite the terror and stray tears leaking from her eyes. She was thankful for just a moment because her emotions hadn't consumed her. Ezren had been there to pull her from the brink, keeping her from being an embarrassment. A finely spun agony laced the words, like shattering silk coming from her lips. "Where else would I go?

You're all I have."

He nodded, pleased. He reached up his hand to brush his fingers across her cheek, but his hand dropped when they heard the creak of the cart shifting next to them. Both heads swiveled towards the sound.

There stood Lovou, looking fierce and so very blank. When he spoke, his tone was absent

of any emotion, "Vassour Elect, Vao Zeger has arrived to pay his respects."

Cetlali's chest huffed. Trying to calm herself.

The efforts her body went through to beat her heart extra fast sent blood and terror screaming through her to the point of indiscretion. That news did not help.

"Thank you, Lovou." Ezren murmured.

Grabbing Cetlali's arm, he turned to walk away.

Over her shoulder she saw Lovou's cheek twitch beneath a glare riddled with derision and disgust. She wiped at her face and turned away from the scathing rage he directed at her.

She forced herself to look forward, which wasn't much of a relief.