37

Cetlali bid Lovou farewell as the Imperial Guard let her into the apartments at the top of Anidozja Palace. The finest quarters housed only the most prestigious of inhabitants. That included her best friends.

"Oh Cetlali, it has been far too long." Athua wrapped her arms around Cetlali tight.

Cetlali would sooner be punched than think about never feeling such tenderness again. She gripped Athua to her, probably a bit too vehemently by the sound of Athua's gentle squeak of surprise. But with some odd stroke of luck, Athua just intensified her grip in return.

"I've missed you something horrible!" Cetlali rasped, shaking because of how hard she tried to hold back tears. She held onto Athua while everything, since they last spent quality time with one another, whirled around her head.

Ezren's wretchedness with Masha present.

Ovar and the Court. All the confusion about who was proposing what to her. Then there was Lovou. Aedom. She was unsure how to give all that its proper consideration.

Athua squeezed her tighter. "I am so sorry I haven't come to you sooner. What you must be going through with all that has happened." She pressed a firm kiss on her cheek, pulling back to take in Cetlali's deteriorating control. Athua's eyes glistened with heart, rendering compassion. Seeing her beloved friend struggling to maintain her composure did her in. "Oh Cetlali..."

A sudden thump hit Cetlali's back. A whole

'nother set of arms wrapped her up and tried to circle Athua in too.

"Don't fret, we're all back together again!"

Masha practically sang it.

Cetlali's heart ached with a distinct agony.

Her eyes finally started shedding all the tears she'd been holding back for what felt a lifetime of grief. Athua and Masha didn't move and

their hold on her was sure. It kept Cetlali upright as a host of agonizing emotions consumed her. She'd pushed everything away for too long and it all came screeching into the forefront of her consciousness. Many things, new, emerging confusing things, that were especially overwhelming and terrifying. Too much pained her and tortured her. It startled aches so deep inside of her she'd forgotten those bits even existed. Tender, foolish things and childish notions that were far too wise, but even more dangerous.

"Oh, shit..." Masha said in a nervous mutter as she gripped Cetlali. Her voice wavered as tears built. "I hate crying. Don't cry. I'll make it better. Want me to kill him this time?"

"What? What's happened? Kill who?" Athua asked, sounding peeved and helpless. "Cetlali, please talk. I'm trying not to jump to planning someone's murder."

Cetlali almost laughed at Masha's

vehemency, and Athua's raising alarm. She was still blubbering a bit, settling into their

embrace, and gave a ragged sigh. She still didn't speak, but they seemed to sense the moment of calm. Carefully, she guided Cetlali over to Athua's large, overstuffed couch. They folded in on each other with Cetlali in the middle and talked.

"You've been proposed to..." Athua started, her usual unwavering voice sounding tentative for once. "Twice — no, wait, four times?" She asked, hesitant to know if more had popped up.

Her unsure smile was still quite winsome.

"You're quite popular."

Cetlali's face crumpled with another wave of exhaustion.

"Four times? Who else now? I heard about Zeger and saw the other two, but who's number four?" Masha pestered.

Cetlali glanced at Athua, her lips still feeling frozen and tongue heavy. Athua watched her with a soft question in her eyes. Cetlali nodded once.